Vitesse Chrome Strip Rivets

MarkB

Hi all

I have bought some of the rivets that have the specially shaped head that the chrome side strips clip on to. I need to drill some holes in the new door skins.

I was going to repaint the rest of the car then rivet the clips on. My concern is when the rivet snaps into place is it likely to crack the paint?

Alternatively I could fit the rivets to a primed surface and and then top coat.

I Drilled the originals out years ago, can't remember why possibly to make it easier to strip the paint and sand the panels.

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

I'd advise being very careful when using a Rivet gun, its easy for it to bounce and mark/dent/scratch the paint

You may be better drilling the holes before painting, but then again you cannot tweak the position of the side strip then.

I didn't have this problem, both doors/skins were original and in good condition when I had my Vitesse re-sprayed during its restoration.

Its worth dipping the end of the rivets in Waxoyl or Dinitrol rustproofer when you fit them to help prevent rust breaking through

I didn't have any issues with the paint cracking when riveting the clips in place.  

another way of doing this, is to take the clips off the rivet and use self tappers
this way you can tighten as much is needed, and yes it is a good idea to use waxoil, or what i did was use frame sealant which does not go hard and can be removed if needed.

Quoted from poppyman
another way of doing this, is to take the clips off the rivet and use self tappers
this way you can tighten as much is needed, and yes it is a good idea to use waxoil, or what i did was use frame sealant which does not go hard and can be removed if needed.

Hi
I am self tapping the hood trim and poppers on, but the round sholdered clips look to be one with the countersunk head of the rivet, one piece. Also the original holes along the side of the car would need a large self tapper, to big to countersink below the head of the trim clip. when the time comes I'll have to try riveting one and see how i goes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark

Quoted from MarkB

Hi
I am self tapping the hood trim and poppers on, but the round sholdered clips look to be one with the countersunk head of the rivet, one piece. Also the original holes along the side of the car would need a large self tapper, to big to countersink below the head of the trim clip. when the time comes I'll have to try riveting one and see how i goes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark

I bought some stainless steel self tappers from screwfix for the poppers