Removing chrome wing moulding strips

Mark E

Piece of wood on wing either side and lever off with screwdrivers.
Work along carefully starting at end, small amount at a time.
Feel will tell you where the clips are and then just lever at those points and then just work along them.

Use plastic, bits of U strip as used on metal edges and found on various non-Triumph stuff, or short lengths of strip, instead of the clips, to refit, to avoid paint damage. Hold well if correct thickness used.

This is what I used on mine when originally restored 1996. Original plastic still there and have survived several removals since, the last time about 3 years ago. They have UV damage on the exposed edges, but otherwise OK.

On my mk3, the PO (or garage?) had used the standard clips, but also filled the finishers with clear silicone sealant. Car was in my garage for a decade before rebuild and they were stuck like you know what to a blanket..... So despite being careful, they were too badly deformed to use again.

The sealant worked well though in terms of protection - no sign of rust etc on any of the finishers.

I have only refitted the rear wing finishers, and adopted same method as PO - although I do wonder if I should have adopted a different route.....will find out eventually I suppose. Like the idea of the plastic clips.

On the tail, I have fitted a plastic trim with satin finish. Single length so only one joint - Not original, but works well, and looks good.

That's one of the nice things about the 1's and 2's - not having those top and bottom plus horse-shoe finishers.

I use motorcycle chain lube spray when fitting trim as it goes very sticky and stops water getting into the seams. Its easy to clean off with WD40 at anytime. Worked very well when I had my Z650 preserving the chrome wire wheels over the winter months.

I like the plastic clip idea....do you have any more details on that?

Thanks All,

the plastic clip idea sounds good so, as said, more detail would be great.  

I can see the attraction of filing them with silicone to keep the water out but does mean future removal would be pretty much impossible.  I was thinking of trying to fill them with Waxoyl or similar before fitting but not sure if that might start oozing out on a hot sunny day....

Quoted from Mark E
Thanks All,

the plastic clip idea sounds good so, as said, more detail would be great.  

I can see the attraction of filing them with silicone to keep the water out but does mean future removal would be pretty much impossible.  I was thinking of trying to fill them with Waxoyl or similar before fitting but not sure if that might start oozing out on a hot sunny day....

Hi Mark,
That's why the chain lube is good as it has a high temp rating...it stays on motorcycle chains in hot weather and I've never had any issues with it.

Cheers
Jon

Not quite yet at the point of replacing the chrome trim strips on my rebuild, but having seen the paint damage and rust egress done by the metal clips on the flanges on the original wing, Im planning to totally avoid them this time.

Ive read various threads here in the past advocating silicone sealant and the like as a fixer, and likewise complaints that that this makes the trim impossible to remove without major damage, so my thinking now is to just use a dab of TigerSeal or similar at each end to hold them in, and then flooding the voids with Dynax or maybe UC to prevent rust in future. Any overflow be easily removed with a spirit wipe or something without the evils of silicone contamination.  

Cant think they need much grip to hold them in place as long as they follow the seam contour well.

Any thoughts?

Good points all. I was considering silicone to hold mine on, but will look into the plastic strip idea instead.
What about running a thin bead of sealant along the top seam, work it into the seam and get it flat and then let it dry before fitting the trim?

The bits of plastic U section I used are only about 15mm long and only on places that are two layers of body metal at the edge.
Spaced at similar spacing to original clips.      
There is plenty of space left under the trim for air circulation. No requirement for sealing.
No rust has ever occurred under mine.