Alternative alternator

PaulB

Hi

Just wanted some advice.

My alternator needs replacing on my spit.

So I was thinking about getting a lightweight racing one from Canley Classics. Any excuse to lighten the car!

Do they put out the same ampage as an original one? i.e. do they recharge the battery any faster?

Has anyone fitted one of these?

Any advice/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have just bought
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220194114308&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=012
which is a denso one. Will knock up some brackets when I actually see it. Think its the same as the brise motorsport jobbie.
Think they are 40 or 50 amps so better than the lucas one. Main thing is a lot of the recon alternators are just junk nowdays, so a new jap one does appeal.

I had heard of a few people that have had problems with supposedly reconditioned/new alternators.

Also I thought I could do with an alternator with a bit better charge than the original one, as the halogen headlamps are a drain on the electrics.

I had a look at your ebay purchase. Thats an excellent price.

How did you know that it was suitable for your car?

Only thing is it will need some new bracketry, but thats not rocket science!
Any alternator will do (best to avoid ones that need a seperate regulator though, a bit unusual) But it looks like the one sold as a motorsport jobbie by lots of places.
However std haogens don't need a greater supply ( same power as the std sealed beams) unless you uprate to 100W bulbs.
Even those will only use 16A, allow a couple for rear/sidelights etc, you only need 20A really. Oh, plus a few more for heater fan and wipers, maybe electric cooling fan. But 30A should be enough.
Oh, and the guy seems to sell loads of those alternators.
Clive

I think this is the recommended type. It should be high output. I'm not sure what the output is, if there's a maximum or what it compares to normal. Its also the model the nippon denso ones are supposed to last, which is kind of ironic as you're sort of supposed to get them from the scrapyard because they won't be broken. Nevertheless, and I know nothing, I think that this was a decent buy. You also get new and shiny thrown in which is always nice.
I'm still using the dynamo...

It doesn't kick out 100 Amps all the time.  All that rating means is that the alternator is capable of supplying a current draw of 100 A if the demand exists.  It will not melt your battery.

To put it into perspective, your battery will have a CCA rating somewhere on it.  That stands for Cold Cranking Amps - the current that the battery is capable of providing to the starter motor.  This is likely to be in the range 150 --> 500 Amps.  It won't melt.

Archived