Show your favourite tools!

Tim Bancroft

So not so much a favourite as a decent bargain. 
Purchased to stay in the boot of the spitfire with a set of spanner’s. 
£25 and usual Halfords pro quality…. In fact identical to my original pro set from 25+ yrs ago. Now they charge more to write advanced on them. 
For £25 you can’t go wrong! 

FB52643A-0FFE-4C75-ABAF-FFC1B000F2B5.jpeg

• Like 2

I really like my Lidl impact wrench. It may not be top quality, but it has a fair amount of grunt, and is great for taking wheel nuts off and getting long bolts off the car. Makes short work of our Hondas subframe bolts. 

3894816_1.jpg

Can recommend for about £60 all in. Trouble is then you get tempted by other tools that share the battery, so now have a circular saw (fab for cutting floorboards when lifting floors) a multi tool for all sorts, and a drill that lives in the garage. Probably some other bits too. 

FWIW I just bought a socket set, the same as Alex's. Just under £20 with a tradecard.I also spend about £8.50 on a set of their screwdrivers which are very good. I need a few other odds and ends to build up a toolkit for our dolomite. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JohnD said:

"2 year guarantee"??   That's very poor for Halfords!    Their Professional range has - or had - a lifetime guarantee - your lifetime!

But as I said this isn’t a pro set it’s a basic range. It just happens to look the same as my original pro set. 

I'm about to find out if Halfords will honour their guarantee!

I have a short, 3/8" ratchet extension that has a spring loaded ball bearing in the tip to retain the socket.    The spring is released by a small button on the shaft - and the button has broken!     The part is from the 'Professional' range, so next time I go into H's I'll see what they have to say and report back.

Sad to  say, VR, I got mine from a different supplier, who offers only a  lifetime guarantee that is allied with taxes.

John

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

I'm about to find out if Halfords will honour their guarantee!

I have a short, 3/8" ratchet extension that has a spring loaded ball bearing in the tip to retain the socket.    The spring is released by a small button on the shaft - and the button has broken!     The part is from the 'Professional' range, so next time I go into H's I'll see what they have to say and report back.

Sad to  say, VR, I got mine from a different supplier, who offers only a  lifetime guarantee that is allied with taxes.

John

I believe you have to provide the receipt of purchase. 

4 hours ago, Alex said:

I believe you have to provide the receipt of purchase. 

Just back from Halfords.  Showed the part to the guy on the till, explained it was from my 'Professional' set.    "OK!"    No questions, no referral to the manager, no request for 'proof of purchase'.   We went straight to the locked display cabinet of Halfords "Advanced" tool sets.  He takes out a set of extensions, takes out the one that matches mine and hands it to me!     He did ask me to sign a receipt, but I was on my way in a few minutes.

Halfords "Lifetime" guarantee on their 'Professional', now 'Advanced', tools is completely genuine.

That extension was at least 20 years old.  

John

• Like 4

I got my impact wrench long before cordless electric ones were a thing, it's a CP734H:
image.png.55c84142ae935595e231bdddef760519.png

I noticed a couple of weeks ago when stripping some Spitfire rear hubs/shafts down it seemed a bit gutless. So I ordered a tune up kit and last night stripped it down, cleaned it and renewed the motor vanes, o-rings, seals and re-lubricated it. It's back to kicking like a mule now. That's what I like about branded tools - I can get spares and give them a new lease of life. 

10 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I got my impact wrench long before cordless electric ones were a thing, it's a CP734H:
image.png.55c84142ae935595e231bdddef760519.png

I noticed a couple of weeks ago when stripping some Spitfire rear hubs/shafts down it seemed a bit gutless. So I ordered a tune up kit and last night stripped it down, cleaned it and renewed the motor vanes, o-rings, seals and re-lubricated it. It's back to kicking like a mule now. That's what I like about branded tools - I can get spares and give them a new lease of life. 

Chicago stuff is great. I had a couole of cheapy air impacts, which worked OK, but a squirt of engine oil down the air intake to get max torque. Must say I do prefer the freedom with battery impacts, though true to form mine is a tightwad version. 

I quite fancy a battery ratchet, but they seem a bit chunky.

Air-powered Impact wrenches, whizzyguns, really are 'a bit chunky', but modern cordless power wrenches are little more than their manual powered cousins and the same as a torque wrench for size:

Sealey Power Speed Ratchet 3/8" Sq | Halfords UK

Sealey Power Speed Ratchet 3/8" Sq 453790

This is a Sealey product, sold by Halfords.  As above, if it had the Halfords 'Advanced' label, I'd buy it!

• 3 months later...

Easy, Craig!

Hang the wrench from a bench vice by the square drive, handle horizontal.  Like below.

Take a known weight mass and hang it from the handle.  Move the strap outwards until the wrench clicks.

Measure the distance from the strap to the drive square, multiply that by the mass.   That is the torque the mass has exerted - does it match the setting?

John

Torque wrench calibration (2).JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Craig said:

Anyone know how to check or recalibrate a torque wrench? I have a second hand Draper 3001A, but I want to be certain it is accurate. Any ideas?

Cheers

Craig

I have done similar to John, but used bathroom scales so I could try different settings. 

Same maths equation applies.

• Like 1

How did you use scales, Clive?

With the above method, different settings may be tested by using different weights, OR with the same weight by extending the handle.   A length of tube over it can be any length you want, so that distance part of the arithmetic is different.

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

How did you use scales, Clive?

With the above method, different settings may be tested by using different weights, OR with the same weight by extending the handle.   A length of tube over it can be any length you want, so that distance part of the arithmetic is different.

John

Torque wrench in teh vice same as yours. Set to (say) 50Nm. Measure the length of the wrench, and to keep it simple here I will say 1/2m

So I would expect the wrench to "click" when I apply 10kg (1kg=10N) via the scales. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Clive said:

Torque wrench in teh vice same as yours. Set to (say) 50Nm. Measure the length of the wrench, and to keep it simple here I will say 1/2m

So I would expect the wrench to "click" when I apply 10kg (1kg=10N) via the scales. 

Ah!  You hold the scales below the handle and lift up?    Might be difficult with a ratcheted wrench, if the weight of the handle overcame the ratchet spring.

John

8 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Ah!  You hold the scales below the handle and lift up?    Might be difficult with a ratcheted wrench, if the weight of the handle overcame the ratchet spring.

John

You can put the handle upright. Up or down. 

You could use baggage scales, or even a fishing scale. Anything that is pretty accurate for weight. just zero the scales for the orientation you use them.