Show your favourite tools!

Tim Bancroft

56 minutes ago, Craig said:

I'm considering this one from Screwfix

I've had 3 'middle of lidl' specials for about £8 or something. They have all looked different but all very similar functionally (probably identical innards to the Screwfix one).
Gave one to me dad. Lost one. Still have one. They turn up each time Lidl do 'tools / DIY' thing which seems to be every month or so. 

4 hours ago, Craig said:

Can anyone recommend a decent digital micrometer?

For convenience, I'm considering this one from Screwfix, or is it no good?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-digital-vernier-callipers-6-150mm/7093v

Cheers

Craig

That looks identical to the one I have in the garage. But came from lidl or aldi I think. Or maybe ebay. Under a tenner. They are very good, seem accurate when checked. 

I have broken a few over the years, mainly because I get careless. Or abuse them.

Don't know about 'favourite' but a top I use a lot is my Bosch electric screwdriver.      

It's so versatile!     Cordless, of course, as well as driving screws, it will take hex-hafted drills, up to 8mm, and with an adaptor is a socket driver, up to 13mm

John

image.png

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

On 25/08/2021 at 13:52, Craig said:

Can anyone recommend a decent digital micrometer?

For convenience, I'm considering this one from Screwfix, or is it no good?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-digital-vernier-callipers-6-150mm/7093v

Cheers

Craig

I have a Powerfix caliper, which looks identical. Bought it many years ago for €10,00 in a local Lidl store.
So far been absolutely reliable. Only had to change the battery once.

On 25/08/2021 at 19:41, Nick Jones said:

Why a digital one? Unlike verniers, plain mechanical micrometers are easy to read and nothing much to go wrong…. Including no battery required!

In my case because they are easier to read. Though for really accurate measurements I use my old and trusty Mitutoyo vernier calipers and my reading glasses 🥴

• 2 months later...
On 04/05/2021 at 20:44, Ian Perry said:

Oh goodness, how can I look any of the tools in the eye and have them know that they aren't my favourite?

The angle grinder would win, for its unparalleled ability to turn metal into sparks, but it nearly bit my thumb off, so it's in the dog-house... The welder is pretty special, and it's amazing how many jobs become welding problems - until you burn through a glove and leave your hand permanently scarred... The humble chisel is a noble beast - until you slip, stab yourself in the thigh and end up in front of your landlady with your trousers down while she straps you up... The cordless drill is very good, but I seem to end up putting holes in my hands, and the versatility of battery power means it happens anywhere...

I'm kinda leaning towards my set of palm ratchets. At least they haven't tried to kill me. Yet.   

Had a giggle at this Ian....do you have 999 on quick dial 🤔😂😂

Should you be allowed near any power tools (or tools in general)

49 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I once used one of those to retrieve a bolt that dropped down the timing case on a Rover V8.... that saved a HUGE amount of work and time!

The spring claw that pops out the end is ideal when the magnet isn’t strong enough, I’ve rescued nuts, bolts and even bulbs that have disappeared into the voids of an engine bay 👍

13 minutes ago, Topic63 said:

The spring claw that pops out the end is ideal when the magnet isn’t strong enough, I’ve rescued nuts, bolts and even bulbs that have disappeared into the voids of an engine bay 👍

I lost mine years ago, but have a home made make-do version now. A rare-earth magnet sealed into the end of a plastic tube. It'll do for now.

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2021 at 15:33, yorkshire_spam said:

I lost mine years ago, but have a home made make-do version now. A rare-earth magnet sealed into the end of a plastic tube. It'll do for now.

I did the same to get a half inch washer out of my Vitesse's sump. I was trying to set the distributor drive tolerance at the time...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Colin.

This propane burner is probably the best £70 I’ve spent in a long while. 

https://www.toolstation.com/vortex-map-torch-pack/p71324?store=LW&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dt&pcrid=558571386879&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9PXD_9eE9QIVwrHtCh0OlwA8EAQYASABEgIK9_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’ve used it on the; Sprint, house, & daily driver. Never fails to impress! 

• 2 months later...

Recent storms blew my garden fence over... the posts are (were) held in using spikes, the box section at the top had parted company with the spike itself.

So this weekend I set about fixing the fence... on Saturday my new favorite tool was the engine hoist. Perfect for extracting the metal spikes!

image.thumb.png.93ac328d6dece948d65a129ca3b9a7eb.png

Edited by yorkshire_spam
stupid google broke the stupid image

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

A while ago I got one of these:
image.png.2fff5e6fcd1f135387746fee949a37fa.png

A (relatively) cheap oscillating multi-tool. Then I bought a (relatively) expensive carbide blade for it.

It's been great for cutting bolts seized into rear suspension uprights/hubs / dolomite trailing arm bushes and cutting out rusty body work in places where I can't get the grinder in without hitting other areas. 

£38 quid in total (tool+blade) and it's already saved me a ton of effort messing about with hacksaw blades etc.  🙂

Edited by yorkshire_spam
  • Like 1