Fitting a TR6 exhaust ( muffler ) to a Vitesse

greenVitesse

Hello,
anyone tried to install the original TR6 muffler to a Triumph Vitesse?
I have a Vitesse MKII convertible with the 2500S saloon engine and a 48mm single pipe ending in a small high backpressure muffler with poor sound.
The TR6 muffler would move the ending pipes to the left , with original length the muffler itself would be installed somewhere just before the rear axle.
Any advice?
Enough clearance under the floor for a TR6 muffler?

Thanks,
Heiko

3458 wrote:
Hello,
anyone tried to install the original TR6 muffler to a Triumph Vitesse?
I have a Vitesse MKII convertible with the 2500S saloon engine and a 48mm single pipe ending in a small high backpressure muffler with poor sound.
The TR6 muffler would move the ending pipes to the left , with original length the muffler itself would be installed somewhere just before the rear axle.
Any advice?
Enough clearance under the floor for a TR6 muffler?

Thanks,
Heiko

nobody did / no idea ?

Personally I don't know, but is it not easier to buy another box specifically made for the vitesse? Rather than trying to faffle about fitting a different one!

There must be some aftermarket ones made for the vitesse for tuning, better sounds etc?  ;)

I'm sure one of the vitesse boys will be along to say soon!

Cheers

Oh and p.s. welcome to the forum, where abouts are you, what cars have you, etc etc etc!  :)

4058 wrote:
Personally I don't know, but is it not easier to buy another box specifically made for the vitesse? Rather than trying to faffle about fitting a different one!

There must be some aftermarket ones made for the vitesse for tuning, better sounds etc?  ;)

^^^ This

I don't see the point in trying to make the wrong box fit when there are so many on the market, made for the job.

A sports 2" system will easily flow enough for a standard 2500 and you'll still have a choice of 'comfortable', 'fruity' or 'down right offensive' (Like mine!)

That is unless where you live there is very limited availabilty.

I paid a total of £95 IIRC for my stainless system from the Triumph spares day some years ago. Bargains are to be had if you seek them out ;)

*edit*

I've just had a look at the shape of a TR6 silencer. You've got no chance of getting that under a Vitesse boot floor. The spare wheel well sits exactly where that silencer would need to be. If you hung it underneath you'd see the whole damn thing. That's assuming it stayed on long enough to be seen and didn't get ripped off in 5 minutes due to it hanging to close to the floor!

Exhaust boxes

1st pic
Top: shiny SS Canley one
Middle: Weary OE Unipart one (lasted 17 years - mustn't grumble)
Bottom: Dubious period pattern replacement

2nd pic
Top box fitted to my Vitesse - nice and discrete.
If you want bling fit a wheelbarrow handle one and get used to tying it back on after speed bumps and the like.

Nick

I have the Canley Classics system waiting to be fitted to my car. It is lovely and shiny, and I'll be keeping the tailpipe part as shiny as I can! I really don't like those wheelbarrow systems (sorry anyone who has one!) I think they look ok on maybe GT6 but too much for a Herald/Vitesse.

if its that canleys large bore straight through exhaust its very loud done my head after 50 miles i got to a point where it was comeing off and up for sale,but i managed to win a spittfire  stainless steel middle 3" round center and a 4branch on ebay made a masive diffrence to the note, canleys after market ss big bore need lot of modifying to fit the herald.

4058 wrote:

Cheers

Oh and p.s. welcome to the forum, where abouts are you, what cars have you, etc etc etc!  :)

Thanks for the nice welcome greetings!
I'm from Mainz / Germany, besides a Triumph T140E my 68' Vitesse MKII conv. is the only Triumph I owe.
Both have amazing engines and sound, but both have a real exhaust problem, - Bonneville problem solved with Norton Roadster mufflers.

Thanks for all the postings make a decision easier, I oversaw the sparewheel well.
I tend to take the stainles steel Canley version, - with free flow through.
I asssume this is the one found in the shop as replacement for the original?

4058 wrote:

Cheers

Thanks for the nice welcome greetings!
I'm from Mainz / Germany, besides a Triumph T140E my 68' Vitesse MKII conv. is the only Triumph I owe.
Both have amazing engines and sound, but both have a real exhaust problem, - Bonneville problem solved with Norton Roadster mufflers.

Thanks for all the postings make a decision easier, I oversaw the sparewheel well.
I tend to take the stainles steel Canley version, - with free flow through.
I asssume this is the one found in the shop as replacement for the original?