Exhaust manifold preservative coatings

mikeyb

Can be aluminised (metal spray process I think) or could be ceramic coated.  The people who actually advertise ceramic coating for manifolds (Zircotec IIRC) always seem unreasonably expensive to me but you may be able to find a company that does it for general industry that is more reasonable.

Proper application of a high quality heatproof paint works quite well too.

Nick

AlanChatterton wrote:
I think its Zircotech you are thinking of.

http://www.zircotec.com/

That's the one - thanks for that - blooming eck they really are pricey - says on the website that they started off doing coatings for the nuclear industry.  Nothing like that on my site though!

Nick_Jones wrote:
Can be aluminised (metal spray process I think) or could be ceramic coated.  The people who actually advertise ceramic coating for manifolds (Zircotec IIRC) always seem unreasonably expensive to me but you may be able to find a company that does it for general industry that is more reasonable.

Proper application of a high quality heatproof paint works quite well too.

Nick

is there one that you would recommend as "high quality" Nick?  I've tried some cheapo ones before, all burnt off!

Hi Mikey,
                     Zircotec - ceramic - should be good but haven't tried it. Expensive.
                     Cam Coat - Ceramic - excellent, lasting finish. Various colours. Not sure how effective the thermal barrier really is though. My TR4a has this.
                     TechLine - ceramic aerosol paint - not tried it but a TR Reg member has reported back with good results as to finish.
                     VHT - aerosol paint - looks good for a while but could break off if the prep' is poor.

The above has nothing to do with me, I'm just a satisfied customer.
Roger

Ceramic coating may be a way of preventing corrosion, when almost any paint will peel off, but can anyone explain to me how it works as a thermal barrier?  Sufficiently, I mean, to be useful?

Compare the Space Shuttle, that needed ceramic tiles to protect its aluminium airframe from an external temperature not far away from the exhaust gases.    Shuttle tiles were six inches thick in places.
How, then, can a ceramic coating on your exhaust that is a millimeter thick (?) be more than a trivial thermal barrier?

John

2601 wrote:
Hi John,
             I think the coating is nearer to 0.002" per layer rather than a millimeter.
Clearly there must be some reduction in heat transfer but as you say is it useful - almost certainly not.

Roger

I've stuck my hand on  a TR4 manifold 5 minutes after the engine was switched, it was warm, but not hot enough to burn.

The Space Shuttle tile argument is simply wrong. You can heat a piece of that tile up until it is white hot and pick it up with your bare hand, you will not be burned as there is no heat transfer as the insulation value is so high.

Watch and learn....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp9Yax8UNoM&sns=em