flying_fox

sent following to Practical Classics

Hello,
Thought you might not be aware that as of January 1 a new "right to refuse" ruling at MOT testing came into effect
relative to the "blue content" of LED and Hid lighting, too blue being a fail.
This will apply to all vehicles being tested, this is a judgemental "eye ball " decision at present
Light is actually measured in degrees Kelvin a LED operating between 2700K and 3000K would be considered "cool "
and pass without query being very near tungsten lamps yellow colour, more towards Blue is "Warm White" between 3500K and
4100K likely to be borderline and may invoke an eye ball "RFR"
Fails will occur if lamps show using lighting in the range 5000K and above are presented.
To date I cannot find any suppliers in the UK able to provide LED bulbs other than 5000K and above,
I know of only one in the USA.

Your readers, like me [from day 1] should check well before purchase or like me end up with bulbs I cannot use.
My intent was to brighten up my 69 Vitesse after the Daimler.
However my 1964 Daimler V8 failed as I had the two front side lights fitted with 6400K LED,
the MK2 body having no ventilation for the side lights, dim 5 watt old style bulb.
I thought the LED a neat solution --- Wrong.

Keep up the good work,
Kind Regards
Gerald Bailey

Hello Gerald,

I am rebuilding a Jaguar MK 2 and my solution will simply be to fit headlights incorporating side lights giving a much larger side light in effect. I shall retain the wing side lights to keep the car's original appearance.

Alec

piman wrote:
Hello Gerald,

I am rebuilding a Jaguar MK 2 and my solution will simply be to fit headlights incorporating side lights giving a much larger side light in effect. I shall retain the wing side lights to keep the car's original appearance.

Alec

My pi has sidelights in the outer (Hella) headlights as well as the normal sidelights.
The estate has LED lamps in the sidelights but standard sealed beam headlights. I like the LED lamps in the sidelights as I believe it makes them a little more striking, they are also of a lower wattage which is handy if you forget they are on.

Colin.

Hello Colin,

"My pi has sidelights in the outer (Hella) headlights as well as the normal sidelights."

Yes, I also have those in my MK 1, a much better idea to me. I also have a lights on warning device in case I forget that the lights are on.

Alec

Yes that would be a good solution Alec, the lower wattage is also handy if you need to leave the lights on as parking lights. The S has no parking light position on the lighting rotary switch, like the earlier pi does.
The LED lamps in the estate don't photograph very well!

Archived