Spot Lamp Brackets

Greta

I know that with modern H4 bulbs, the need for auxiliary lighting isn't as crucial as it once was  - but as I hope to be going off to Monte Carlo in deepest winter, I wondered if those that have successfully fitted spots to their early Spitfires might share their designs and mounting points for the brackets they used.

I've a set already fitted ( see pic ) but I am possibly going to utilise these existing brackets ( mounted to the triangular box section of the bonnet below the side lights) ... for a pair of FT14 Fogs -  and mount them up side down.

My problem is trying to identify somewhere robust enough to anchor the inboard end of the bracket that won't then foul the bonnet when it tilts forward to the open position,

I've considered using the front bumper but would prefer to have a fixture that can be removed when all four aux lights are not required.

Ok - so this GT6 appears to have spot light brackets fixed to the return lip of the bonnet nose ... I'd assumed that fixing there would be too flimsy - so perhaps they've fitted  strengthening plates to spread the load...

... any engineers care to recommend gauge & grade of an appropriate material that should be used for both the reinforcement plates and the brackets themselves - whereby the finished units might reduce flex and fatigue as much as possible. Any fabricators out there please make suggestions?

Rallywagens

Mounting extra lights anywhere, you really want a top mount to secure them and ensure they don't wobble.

For lights mounted onto the bonnet itself, I would seriously consider making a small "cowl" out of about 1.2mm steel that would enclose the whole light unit on each side, in which case you could use round headlamp main beam units (like the inner pair on a Vitesse or 2000/2500) instead of 'spot lamps' per se. The cowl would then disperse the loads over a significant area and you might not need any further reinforcement. The whole thing could even be attached using half a dozen Dzus fasteners (those little flush screw fasteners that lock on a 1/4 turn) or even screws and rivet nuts, so that they could be removed again when not needed and leave very little sign of their ever having been fitted.

For smaller, external spotlight units mounted in the grille, as Colin says a bar across the bonnet hinges is needed to provide the base for a couple of flat plates sticking out forwards, to mount the bottom bolt of the light. A small bracket under the top lip of the grille should then be strong enough to mount a steady bar going to the top of the light unit.