Bonnet hinge modification

Rallyspit

I'm building a lightweight Mk3 Spitfire for road and light competition use and it's time to trial-fit the (fibreglass) bonnet. I'd prefer to hide the hinges (MSA regs say I can run bumperless as a pre '68 sports car). Has anyone any tips on where exactly to mount the hinges, and what mods are required to the bonnet support tubes? All help gratefully received.

Try to get a look at one of the cars that Dave Picton has built, he has done at least 3 round-tails with hidden hinges.

Tim Bancroft is having his hidden hinges re-discovered very soon, so may be able to get you some pictures.

http://www.picton-sportscars.co.uk/?page_id=13

shows a vague idea.

Cheers

Some pictures here that should help you.

These were taken from (IIRC) a MK1 Spitfire with GT6 running gear, there's a build thread over on the sideways forum if you wanted to contact the person who owns the car.

There's been threads in the past on this forum regarding hidden hinges should have a search, might find some more info. :)

• 6 months later...

4992 wrote:
Some pictures here that should help you.

These were taken from (IIRC) a MK1 Spitfire with GT6 running gear, there's a build thread over on the sideways forum if you wanted to contact the person who owns the car.

There's been threads in the past on this forum regarding hidden hinges should have a search, might find some more info. :)

That's great thank you. Apologies for having to ask and not successfully finding on the Search facility. What an elegant solution, it really tidies the front up and gets rid of the (in my opinion) ugly under riders.

As far as fitting to a fibreglass bonnet is concerned, I would have thought the stiffening frame could be bonded in easily enough.

Thank you all for your replies.

3141 wrote:

That's great thank you. Apologies for having to ask and not successfully finding on the Search facility. What an elegant solution, it really tidies the front up and gets rid of the (in my opinion) ugly under riders.

As far as fitting to a fibreglass bonnet is concerned, I would have thought the stiffening frame could be bonded in easily enough.

Thank you all for your replies.

Yep shouldnt be an issue to modify a glass bonnet with what ever you need. you could either fix the steel components into the bonnet or attach plates to the bonnet to allow the steel system to bolt on.

reinforcing glass stuff is very simple, create a void or stringer in the direction needed and glass over it.