alloy rocker cover on a 74 2000.

kennyd

one thing thats an advantage with the alloy rocker cover it doesnt collapse when tightening down, also i think there might be enough depth round the edge where the gasket fits to have a groove machined into it for a PTFE seal,

• 2 weeks later...

I use cork gaskets on both tin and aluminium rocker covers and have no leakage problems.

Secret is to make sure the contact surfaces on the cover and head are cleaned up properly if they are dirty - a wire brush is usually all that is needed on tin ones or use an old flat screw driver with rounded corners.  Carefully square up the dips around the stud holes with a light hammer on tin ones if there are any from excessive tightening of the nuts, then using a fresh gasket stick it to the cover with contact adhesive on tin covers.

Grease the other side of the gasket (mating with the head) and replace the cover and screw down the nuts carefully until they tighten on the cover so that they do not much more than nip them up.

With my aluminiun covers I make sure both mating faces of the cover and head are clean and lightly coat with grease.   The grease holds the gasket in place on the head and the cover lowered on carefully and again the fixing bolts are little more than nipped up.

With both methods it is usually possible to re-use a gasket once or twice provided the fixing nut has not been tightened too much.

This is how I have done it since the 1960s and never had leakage problems.

MUT

• 4 weeks later...

I had leaks from an ally one I bought - turns out the mating surfaces weren't a good match at all, especially at the corners. 

Gave up in the end, chucked it away and went back to the original after it was sand blasted and powder coated.

No leaks and looking good!

Paul