rocker cover gasket

CRAJ

Is it just who I used for this gasket, or are all rocker cover gaskets now a close ressembalance that you have to 'adjust' to fit. The shape of the curves at each corner were nothing like right and the whole thing was about 7mm to long. After 'cutting and shutting' mine with a knife and some instant gasket, it followed the lines of the cover and so far has sealed it.
I bought mine from a well known supplier in LINCOLNshire, not the dearest, but not the best fit either.
Should I have paid more for a payen part, or is part of the joy of owning a classic car, making the parts fit?

Cheers Colin

They always look aweful, even when they fit. I always stick mine to the rocker cover. There is a guy in the States making reuseable silicone ones, expensive but apparently v good.
A quick Google throws up a couple of choices - I've not personally tried either of these and have no financial interest in them
http://www.jmwagnersales.com/ for the expensive ones I saw first
and
http://gasketinnovations.flyingcart.com/index.php?p=products&req=dept&id=4  for a cheaper alternative

If using a cork one i always try and use a Payen one ,trouble is most of the tin valve covers have been overtightened in the past in a vain attempt to stop oil leaks...usually all this does is make the problem worse ! Try and find a good cover ,new payen gasket and DONT overtighten it. Not heard about the silicone ones but i do like the idea ! and got to be cheaper in the long run ?

AlanChatterton wrote:
Try to make sure that any cuts are at the front........ .

Luckily Alan I did think of this myself, making the join above no.1 spark plug as it seemed like the highest point.

Is it possible to buy something to replace these gaskets that comes on a roll.... almost like a rope, that could be fed into the groove and joined at the highest point?
You can get a PTFE thread for pipefitting instead of the traditional tape but its not a very big diameter.

Surely someone on this forum uses something everyday in their job but has never considered its possible other uses! (he says hopefully)

Colin.

I've got one of the gasket inovation silicone one's on my gt6 and the fit is spot on, seals perfectly with no mods required and as the silicone recovers after you remove the rocker cover you never need to replace it again.
Heaps better than any of the cork types I've tried and only a tenner including postage from the states.
Floyd

Hello Colin,

in answer to your question:-

"Is it possible to buy something to replace these gaskets that comes on a roll"

Yes, it is called gland packing and comes in a variety of square section sizes. Not cheap, however, so not really an option (c £80.00 for 6M roll 6mm square) I'm sure that square section rubber extrusion will also be available, but again at what cost as most such products are sold in large quantities.

Alec

piman wrote:
Hello Colin,

in answer to your question:-

"Is it possible to buy something to replace these gaskets that comes on a roll"

Yes, it is called gland packing
Alec

That's right, the small section stuff that we have at work is called that. Having seen the above posts of a silicon alternative for £10 from the states though. I know where my money will be going :)

Thanks gents
Colin.

Archived