Moto Lita Boss & Horn Problem

Ludwig

Need some advice, had a search around the Boards, but can't find anything definitive.

Replaced my original steering wheel with a second hand Moto Lita wheel and a brand new boss (it's the correct Moto Lita boss). All fine and dandy except no horn.  :'( I understand the basics of how the horn works,  a few questions, some may be daft but want to rule out everything:

Moto Lita do a horn pencil, is that longer than the standard one, ie mine is too short?

Do I need the 3 pronged ring that normally sits beneath the nut around the column? There appears to be nothing metallic on the back of the horn push to make a contact with.

The boss sits about 1/4 inch away from the column, there is a gap, should that be closed up? Can't move the wheel any further. However I have seen other cars like this.

Any ideas ? I'm really pleased with the wheel, but as usual it's one step forward, two back!

Cheers

Alex

The wheel has a boss, the pencil with springs inside, shouls make contact with the horn push back, and the brass ring that sits inside the steering column
The pencil makes earth by compressing
The brass ring should have a wire coming from it that goes down the column
The horn push should be earthed and when the horn is sounded the pencil pushes in, making internal contact
So, centre should push in,compresses pencil,this makes continuity to the brass ring hey presto beep beep
Now if all this is working properly and then the horn does not work ,then its the column earth problem, down at the uj/steering rack  

Just to add: I've found the correct locating of the contact between pencil and horn push to be VERY tricky. I don't know if your wheel is the same as mine, but the contact point between the pencil and the specific place on the push allows very little room for error, so I normally have to give it a few goes before I get it right.

Sorted - quite simple really, I bent the contact on the back of the horn push back a few mm and it works!

So it was either that or the pencil isn't long enough for the depth of the boss.

Or both.

Thanks to all,

Alex

Have to be tomorrow I'm afraid, EBay BIN bargain @ £20 inc postage. Had to buy a boss of course, but a Moto Lita for around £70 ain't bad? 13" flat leather, looked dished in the photo but really pleased with it, much better than the original, not too heavy on the steering and easier to find column switches, especially overdrive.

Photo tomorrow, don't we just love photos of our cars?

Alex

A benefit of the 13" wheel is that I can now see how fast I'm going!

Ideally I'd love the interior of one of those "Federal" Spitfires with the black dash set up of the early Mk IV's and those lovely high back seats. Obviously without the choking of the engine.  ;)

Alex

Archived