Replacing the Horn

Tom2000

Halfords or any motor spares shop sell a cheap pair of plastic horns with a red top. They work fine & the red plastic bit comes off easily if you want a more original look. Just fit them like the originals.

Unless you want air horns to wake up the neighbours ;D

depends what kind you want, theres plenty of air horns you can get, all the triumph dealers will do replacement horns also which will probably just be a case of takin out the old and hookin uo the new, if you can wait till feburay theyll be some at stoneliegh also, most come with fittin instructiosn for the electrickery

Re-connect the horns in some melodic non-Dixie order that pleases you.

The 1st version of Hitchcock's "Man Who Knew Too Much" (the 1930s b&w one with Peter Lorre & Leslie Howard) was on the other night, & I noticed outside at the beginning of the Albert Hall there was some huge expensive 30s car like a Rolls which had an air horn.  It just played "Boo doo deedly DEEDLY dooo"; no recognizable tune, just a sort of neat horn riff.

The "boo DEE boo DEE" riff is worn out, by the way.

If you get the ones from Halfords mentioned earlier I think you will find they come with a wiring diagram and a relay and give a nice loud two tone more regularly associated with large cars.  As mine are in my Spit I get a lot of surprised looks and people getting out of the way just as intended.

Archived