MDofTW

Hi all; Mk 2 Vitesse CV; in the last few days I have intermittently lost both fuel guage and temp guage, plus, at separate times, wipers and heater fan. Maybe brake lights too! Overdrive works fine, and (thankfully as I'm enjoying driving to & fro work in this warm weather!), headlights do as well. I reckon someone's going to say I've got dodgy earthing somewhere? Thanks all. Steve.

Aha - I think Tony has it - the speedo is currently not where it should be ( don't ask!), and all the bits behind are just flapping around in the breeze! Fuses are good. So I think that explains the fuel & temp gauges. Thx both for input.

BUT, does this explain no wipers, fan or (now) indicators or brake lights. The only electrics that seem to be working now are lights (all ok), and overdrive! If they  are dodgy earth - where? And why suddenly all going wrong? Perhaps first winter damp setting in? Thx. Steve

Mine was earthed on the bulkhead by the battery. The wiper and heater have their own earth wires so checking continuity there is easy. As it's both I'd almost rule out bad switches straight away.

I've earthed almost everything individually on my car now. I'll count how many wires there are one day but I'd say it's well over 20 spread over three earthing points!

Earths are funny things. My GT6 has suddenly lost interior lights and dash / main lights until the ignition is switched on whereupon all works as it should. I'll have to investigate further... but I use the late Spitfire earthing cable that goes to both the bulkhead and the battery, so I'd have thought it would be over-earthed...