npanne

In amongst a pile of triumph parts that I acquired some time back, there was a lovely original GT6 rocker cover that had been blasted and painted / coated, and at first glance it looks really nice.

When you look a little closer though, it's obvious that someone didn't think this through and has blasted the inside - there is still quite a bit of blast media on the inside of the case, and whilst most of it can be removed (albeit a rather painstaking process), I'm worried about what lies beneath the flap bit that leads to the breather tube - if the media has got under here (and I suspect it has) - is there any easy way to get it out, or is it just going to be easier to bin the thing and get one of my other ones blasted (on the outside only) when I can be bothered rather than risking abrasive media getting into the engine?

npanne wrote:
In amongst a pile of triumph parts that I acquired some time back, there was a lovely original GT6 rocker cover that had been blasted and painted / coated, and at first glance it looks really nice.

When you look a little closer though, it's obvious that someone didn't think this through and has blasted the inside - there is still quite a bit of blast media on the inside of the case, and whilst most of it can be removed (albeit a rather painstaking process), I'm worried about what lies beneath the flap bit that leads to the breather tube - if the media has got under here (and I suspect it has) - is there any easy way to get it out, or is it just going to be easier to bin the thing and get one of my other ones blasted (on the outside only) when I can be bothered rather than risking abrasive media getting into the engine?

Dish washer !!(when the wife is out)

If media is trapped under there then it must be in the wire wool that Triumph put there in the first place as a crude filter.
Usually by now thick with Black Gunge, the wool should be prised out anyway, if necessary by cutting the cover open, though a small screwdriver will usually do the job.  Then the balst media can be shaken out, once any remaining Gunge has been removed with a soak of degreaser.

John

Why would you want to dispose of teh rocker cover, especially after you have just cleaned it out???  :-/

Anyway, the contaminated petrol will be very good for starting bonfires and such-like, so you don't want to dispose of that. Even better if you can get some small children to light it, they love fires, and the blast wave will be more likely to go over their heads.

Cheers

Colin