Help! Electrical Gremlin!

Rumpith

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with a gremlin on the TR7:

When I use the headlamp flasher on the stalk, the pods lift and drop correctly as they should, but there is no light.

When I flick the toggle on the dash to switch the lights on, nothing happens (i.e. no side lights, main beam OR pods)

If you "flash" with the stalk when the headlamp switch is "on", nothing happens, but as soon as you turn the dash toggle off, the pods "flash" up and down.

There is power to the toggle switch, and the switch looks in good working order, and all the fuses look OK (and besides, there are separate fuses for left and right, side and main anyway)

I'd say start with checking the connectors in the engine bay on both sides of the radiator. Clean them etc., also check both earth points there.

If that doesn't help, check your switches and relays with a multimeter.

I have had a lot of trouble with dirty contacts inside TR7 headlamp (and other) switches.  They come apart with a bit of care and can be  cleaned up a re-assembled.  I seem to recall that a lot of auxiliary voltage is routed through the headlamp and heated rear window switches.

Put car away now, but if Raider can't shed light on your mystery connections, I'll check mine tomorrow.  Let me know!

Rgds

Mike!

[quote by=rayjones link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1175792552,s=6 date=1175809091] ...Don't be tempted to join them together ...[/quote]
If everything is OK it is better to connect them. They'll collect less dirt for when you want to use them  ;)

Also tape up the loose connectors up front

I recently fitted a new headlight switch. It worked perfectly,---for 20 hours.

I worked my way through all the solutions mentioned here, without success. I finally discovered that it was the contact between the new switch, & connecter that plugs into it that was causing my problem.

This surprised me, as the switch was new, & I had done reasonably through job of cleaning the contacts in the connecter.

[quote by=Hasbeen link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1175792552,s=8 date=1175858797] ...I had done reasonably through job of cleaning the contacts in the connecter. [/quote]
Sounds rather familiar. Did a short test drive with the DHC last week. Temp gauge wouldn't show anything. Got home, checked the temp. feeler which was OK, reconnected it and I got a reading ...

Archived