Electronics Help - not car related

James

I've got one of these Solari clocks... and want to try and wire it up to see if it's still working.

It says it's 6 volt, 140 ohm - and that’s all the info it gives me... the orange cylindrical coiled part says it's "60 ohm"

Anyone got any ideas?

James

Hi.

Put a 140ohm 5 watt resistor in seriese with it and it will run on 12 volts. Or you can get a little voltage regulator that will take 12 volts and drop it down to 6 volts. That is of course assuming you want to run it in a car. If it has been stood for a while it might need a tiny bit of oil & s flick start........You can't kill yourself with 6volts unless you swallow the battery...Good luck.
    Pete

An old phone charger (often 9v output I think) would do with a resistor in series unless that clock absorbs copious amounts of power. Often electrical equipment is not that sensitive to voltage accuracy. You could use a bridge to drop down the 9v to 6v but that might well be OTT.

You could always get a multi-functional charger from Argos or similar with programmable output and various adapters. they are usually around £5 and could be a good way of powering the clock for good.

Regards, Neil

If it's that big, I think you'll struggle with a battery, you'll probably need a 6V motor bike or even car battery to keep it going for any length of time.

Find a 6V transformer, probably best to look in model railway circles, most are 12V but I'm sure you'll find something 6V (Goes browsing ebay)

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=6V+power+supply

Think nearly all of these will do the job.

Saying that, according to my calculations, you should be able to test it with any old battery set up, or even a 6V battery charger (bet you've got one of them) should work, but then I don't gaurentee it doesn't blow up!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got this wired up - and it works! Sort of...

It needs a supply that pulses every minute for the thing to work.

The big orange thing is an electro magnet - this triggers the mechanism to go round and flip the numbers.

Anybody clever that can help? Hopefully the simplest solution possible - but it needs to be pretty accurate...

Pulsing power? Hmm... Can't see a circuit board, but that sounds like a faulty capacitor to me...

Just had a similar problem with my tumble dryer, saved myself a couple of hundred quid by replacing a capacitor on the circuit board £2.52 from Maplin!

Thanks for the PM Bodders.  
Remember a setup in one of the buildings at Sydney University in the 50s which used a large, wall mounted pendulum clock as the timer to drive the repeaters.
The pendulum passed between coils to generate the timing signal (I think at one per second) but I have no idea of how this was then treated to control the pulse to drive the repeater, all pre-solid-state
This could be an interesting project for you!

Archived