WIMPUS

I now have an Odyssey dry cell battery that fills the battery tray - no leaking battery acid any longer to eat the paint & steel in the battery tray.  The purchase was my "I've had enough!", moment, & I wish I'd had it sooner.  Pricier than off the shelf, but I've Had Enough.

Can't recall size of battery, but I can confirm that a "heavy duty" battery for a Vauxhall (Opel) vectra will just fit in the battery tray, with little spare space!

I discovered this when I scrapped my old vectra which had 1 year old battery that I had spent good money on, and was damned if I was going to lose it. So the spitfire gained........

The 063 battery as fitted to lots of cars will fit well. The terminals are at the back (away from the battery clamp) and all cables connect. You will need longer battery clamp J bolts though.
The 075 battery is a bit bigger, and usually a fair bit more expensive, hence my preference for the 063

in the UK they are available from £30 (bosch basic version)
http://www.racshop.co.uk/car-battery/product/bosch-s3-car-battery-063.html

I measured the space I had then went to Halfords and got the biggest I could. Came back with a 625cca jobbie which has been thoroughly abused. It ran a cd player for 6 months worth of weekends without charge and was so flat in the end that the alternator wouldn't charge it.

People slag off the Halfords batteries, mine's still going strong after 7+ years of that kind of abuse.

cliftyhanger wrote:
The 063 battery as fitted to lots of cars will fit well. The terminals are at the back (away from the battery clamp) and all cables connect. You will need longer battery clamp J bolts though.
The 075 battery is a bit bigger, and usually a fair bit more expensive, hence my preference for the 063

in the UK they are available from £30 (bosch basic version)
http://www.racshop.co.uk/car-battery/product/bosch-s3-car-battery-063.html

i had a bosh fitted when i bought my car, and i think it's the same one ..  :)