Battery acid spill

Dave2000

Hi all - advice needed

A good couple of months ago now, I was transporting a car battery in the boot of the Mondeo and, unbeknownst to me, it fell over and leaked everywhere. I didn't spot this for about 24 hours (I know, I know, you don't need to tell me about that) but I think I got the worst of it out at the time.

However, the boot now absolutely reeks. Earlier this afternoon I completely emptied it and washed it out again and got rid of some white spots in the worst-affected area.
I took the boot boards out and soaked them through with several buckets' worth of water (no outside tap, you see) and then left them to dry over the washing line.
Have now brought them inside, but they still smell - not as badly, admittedly, but it's still there.

So, is it worth me soaking them again, say in the shower, or shall I just bin them and swallow the cost of some replacements? Cos some of the wood looks like it's gone black. And a lot of the carpets have fallen off the boards cos the glue melted....
And other than a good wash-down, what's the best acid neutraliser for the car itself?

Cheers,
Dave

From the resident chemist:

Obviously you need to assess whether it's worth trying to save the interior trim. Bicarbonate of soda (find it in the supermarket with the cake ingredients) applied dry and worked into the affected area should neutralise the acid and is also a good way of getting rid of the smell when your child has been sick in the car...... Alternatively, if you've got the bits out of the car and are already committed to getting them wet; I'd suggest using washing powder, although this may have an effect on the colour of any fabric (and if it's wool it may damage the fibres). In fact, just about any cleaning product (washing up liquid, interior cleaner etc) will be alkaline and will neutralise the acid, which is what the smell is. As a lot of the bottles say "test on an inconspicuous area first" to see if it's going to change the colour, then go for it.

Cheers,
Bill.

^^^What he said.  Sodium hydroxide works even better in my opinion.  Otherwise lots of water to dilute and rinse whether or not you neutralise with an alkaline substance.  I say this as if you leave any of the alkaline stuff hanging about it will accelerate corrosion just as fast as the acid does.

^^^What he said.  Sodium hydroxide works even better in my opinion.  Otherwise lots of water to dilute and rinse whether or not you first neutralise with an alkaline substance.  I say this as if you leave any of the alkaline stuff hanging about it will accelerate corrosion just as fast as the acid does.

I (chemist by training) would say no to sodium hydroxide, it is just as harsh as the acid you are trying to deal with. As you have already tried washing away with water (very effective) the next step is indeed a mild base such as Bicarb of soda. That will safely neutralise any remaining acid.

Im getting a nose for this one, the idea of Bills,
battery acid and add child vomit into the equation sounds ......  an absolute delight

I thought we had solved a carpet soaked after an accident with a tray of eggs commiting suicide off the back seat  ....till you parked the car in the sun for a few hours and that was  mega foul,,  

grandson was sick in the Vitesse....yeh about 4 gallons of porridge and puke.....strangely it never ponged  
but  slime went everywhere ...  
Pete