Numpty wiring question

Mark E

My car spends a fair bit of time plugged into an accumate as it often sits for a couple of weeks without use.  Rather than having to keep lifting the bonnet to attach the crocodile clips to the battery, I want to wire a permanent solution into the cabin so I can pull in to the garage and just plug it in.  

It occurred to me at the same time that it would be useful to have a cigarette lighter socket for running a satnav.  If I run a wire direct from the positive terminal of the battery (with an in-line fuse) to a cigarette lighter socket.  Presumably there is nothing to stop me using this in reverse, i.e. putting an accessary plug on my accumate and just shoving this into the socket when not in use?

Sounds like that's my plan then, be useful to have a socket for satnav, phone charger and other such period '60's accessories  ;)

(RedRooster - I will disconnect the battery if left for any real length of time but useful not to have to and still be confident of enough cranking power)

Yes! The Spit 1500 has a cigar lighter and it's permanently connected to the battery via a fuse. (Moderns are usually connected via ignition switch) My charger has a cigar lighter plug on the lead for this very purpose  :)   I sometimes have to jer- jer- jiggle the plug to get the (intelligent) charger to start properly.

Richard

I'm sure it could be done but i agree with redrooster, battery isolators are cheap as chips, very easy and work well.

Had one on my old classic and used it in winter times, took about 8 seconds to lift the bonnet and whizz the thing on.

something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/261375053306?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Mine has a cigarette lighter/satnav socket wired into it but not checked out the wiring, works though and i think they're pretty easy to wire in. Car is away at the moment unfortunately but if i get it back in time i'll post a quick diagram up if you want.

I was actually thinking of one these insdie the car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIA-Type-Master-Battery-Isolator-Cut-Out-Off-Switch-Kit-Car-Race-Rally-Truck-/151127127891?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item232fe0f753

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C1MY-Battery-Disconnect-Kill-Cut-Off-Cutoff-Switch-Car-Boat-Truck-Brass-Terminal-/301170906640?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item461f2f5610

An isolator is only good for fitting to something that is making the battery lose charge ie a leakage to earth or something turned permanently on....sou your are killing the circuit
A car stood for a couple of weeks should not create any loss of charge unless you have a faulty battery
Also having a good alternator to give a good charge is one of the main things
If you have std 32 amp alternator that was commonly used and you are using or pulling power to operate modern appliances then you will have problems
We use 63 amp alternators and run various devices for rallies etc and we have no problems when the cars are left for a while without use as they have been highly charged whilst being used  

Both my Triumphs have little trickle chargers fitted, just clips on to the batteries in my case. As said batteries do lose charge over a period and thy don't last too long when kept partially charged. I also hate having to reset my radio's memory. My last battery lasted 8 years.
Tony.