wiring birds nest

jon burrows

5881 wrote:
I like the idea of weather-proof connectors. I'll see what Maplins have to offer.
Cheers. Jon

Jon you might find it best to go to a dedicated auto electrician supplier rather than Maplins. I use Autosparks and Vehicle Wiring Products and both firms are excellent with their strengths in different areas.

These are the waterproof plugs I have used.

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/index.php?cPath=94_737

as an aside, I started using a squirt of waxoil/whatever on the connectors about 15 years ago. Seems to work well stopping most problems (it was a tip I picked up from a landrover magazine, read whilst waiting at the dentists. Can remember that, but not anything useful these days)

.......as if to tempt providence, at the MOT yesterday both nearside main beams were dead. They worked before I set off, but wouldn't play when the tester put the alignment gauge on.  He kindly let me have a fiddle with birds nest, which got them working and all was well. So today I've ordered a multipin plug from Autosparks. Thanks for the tips.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Bit tempted by this now, but concerned the pins will be too narrow?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kit-10-Pin-Sealed-Waterproof-Car-Electrical-Wire-Connector-Plug-0-18cm-MA579-PR-/281229552540?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item417a966b9c

I had a problem on one of my motorcycles [suzuki ] The main multi connector to the headlamps was a known weak point for overheating. Recommended cure was to remove the factory connector and replace with one with larger teminals. 1.8mm would be a bit too small in my experience.

• 1 month later...

Bringing up an old thread... I went for these Super Seal jobbies. Rated for 14a continuous they should be more than up for the job. I bought two 6-way sets as I wanted to run earths and other things separately. I could have split each wire before the plugs to reduce the load but then it'd start to get silly!