Electronic Ignition Systems

AlanChatterton

Hi All,

Want to put Electronic Ignition on My MKII PI ready for the RBRR.

I have Pirana or Neutronic as it is now known on my S Estate and I love it, but I am having trouble tracking the company down.

Does anyone have a phone number for them?

Looked on the net, can't find anything.

I know Mr Witor sells them, but I was wondering if I could save a few quid by going direct?

I think the Aldon Ignitor / Pertronix device is hard to beat.

Quite reasonably priced (esp. if bought from the USA)
Very easy to fit
Unobtrusive
Very Effective
Can easily return to points in unlikely event of a problem.

No commercial interest, just a previously satified customer.

Nick

[quote by=resto_virgin link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1155919627,s=3 date=1155939810]Could I get an unbiased opinion on the benefits of electronic ignition. I've never had a problem with points, but have considered electronic ignition for quite a while.[/quote]

Most of them are good - just make sure you keep a set of points etc in the car with you!

They do go wrong... and you're stranded without a simple set of points...

Has anybody done a "before and after" comparison to show the MPG improvement after fitting electronic ignition (whether it be Aldon, Neutronic, Lumenition or whoever)?  I'm very keen on the "fit and forget" aspect of converting but it's an improvement in fuel economy that really interests me.  Hoping to do my 2.5 and Land Rover.  Nice tip about buying direct from the States.

Also - is there a noticable improvement in power?  Is the high energy coil important?

Maplin sells a DIY kit for a tenner - not really electronic ignition it's a "transistorised ignition amplifier".  http://www.velleman.be/ot/en/product/view/?id=8946  Claims to improve coil performance, starting, economy etc.

Has anyone fitted one?  I was wondering how it works and would love to know the science of it all.  I wonder if  it further improves the electronic ignition system?  Or would it be a waste of time and just more electric stuff to go wrong?

Ive had the Aldon on on my gt for about 3yrs now(about 15k miles), with no probs!
I also fitted the 'flame thrower' coil .

Only thing I really noticed was it did smooth out the tickover a tiny bit!
And of course,ive not had to fiddle about with gapping/changing  the points every now and then!!

I also still keep the old points etc under the spare wheel, just in case!!

Roy.

It's worth checking the condition of the dissy before going for ei, I reckon. If the shaft or bushes are worn then you're probably not going to notice much of a difference.

On my most recent car I wouldn't say I can tell what the difference is, because I had a new dissy at the same time, plus conversion from retard to adv. vacuum, plus new carbs's ... needless to say it's all alot better but I couldn't single out the ei's effect!  :)

As far as I'm concerned, points are for "keep it all original" concours types and for getting you home in an emergency in the (unlikely) event of a decent EI system failing.  I've never had a problem with Piranha systems, and the one in my Stag has to put up with a LOT of heat.

I have found that EI can mask the effect of slightly worn distributer shaft bearings - instead of having the timing mark moving around under a strobe light, forcing you have to set the timing to an average setting, with EI the marks remain steady.  My theory for this is that because the slots in the rotor are radial, the timing does not alter as the shaft moves laterally, unlike with points.

In addition, points apply a radial load to the top of the distributer shaft and, being a Lucas design, this end of the shaft is not supported by a bearing.  This promotes bearing wear, and a small amount of wear is exagerated at the top of  the shaft and translates to erratic ignition timing.

Couple these advantages to the elimination of setting the points every few thousand miles, I think it's a no brainer.

Personally I wouldn't trust an add-on kit from Maplins - stick to the tried and tested.

Totally agree with the previous post... points are "pointless" when there are so many good quality cheap EI systems out there.

I have used Pirhana on my PI for 30,000miles without touching it. Previously while still on points the only issue I had whilst circumnavigating Australia in the PI were the points closing up after cruising at 80+mph for nigh on 3 days and nights (about 4000miles) .

I have Lumenition on my Stag (came with it never touched it)

Points may be OK if you have a brand new dizzy ..but who has?

I have recently fitted Pertronix to my wifes 2500 after quality issues with points and guess what .. the dwell is perfect and starting is instant.

For my money go Pertronix and carry a base plate and points "just in case"

• 2 months later...

Archived