Gerabox oil additive

markcro

I picked up a bottle of STP gearbox oil additive as my gearbox (GT6 Mk.3) could do with all the help that it can get. 😉 Anyway I've just read the details and it says not to use in automatics or limited slip diffs- all fair enough. But also not in overdrives... Bugger! I can understand the autos and LSDs but why not overdrive boxes?

Quaife say, on their own website, "we recommend that you use whatever your vehicle’s manufacturer recommends." See: http://quaife.co.uk/customer-service/technical-support/

That's because a Quaife ATB - "Automatic Torque Biasing" diff has no clutches.    Instead it has a clever system of worm and pinion wheels.  Also called a "Torsen" diff, nothing to do with a Nordic rally driver, it stands for "TORque SENsing".

So I use Hypoid 80/90 gear oil.

John

Thank you junkuser for such a lucid explanation of how the Quaife ATB works, and for why it fails when one tyre loses all grip.

Just shows you that none of the marvelous technical aids to driving that we have now are helpful in all circumstances.
There is an excellent, short video that demonstrates that ABS is useless in snow :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjptycPi9L8
Apparently, the wedge of snow that builds up in front of the stalled tyre helps brake the car, when with ABS the tyre just rolls over the wedge.

There is no alternative to being a driver, not a passenger behind the steering wheeel.

John