desmk11

Hi all

I have come to the point where i just need some advice, opinions please.

My 2000 mk11 started to make a really high pitched squealling on the journey home from the ferry meadows meet. It is only a slight noise not over powering but its there and never used to be. Opening the bonnet doesn't give the game away at all, you just can not seem to pin point it.

Anyway i thought no problem that will be an easy fix, no. no, no how wrong was i. Disconnected the alternator and water pump, still there, disconnected the power steering pump, still there, dropped a little oil down distributor, still there. Took off rocker cover and pipes, still there, filled the cam followers whilst car was running, they were rather dry,  squeal gone.
Now less than 20 miles squeal is back.

What to do next? Fit this oil feed pipe that i have purchased, i do know other six cylinder owners with them but im told they starve the bottom end of oil.

Help please.

Des.

Well, there is already an oil feed to the top end of the engine, so if you are really getting no oil up there you need to be wondering why!

With the rocker cover off and the engine running you should see oil coming out of the little holes on the top of the rockers (may take a minute or two after starting) and/or around the sides.

If you are getting no oil anywhere at the top end then either you've got oil pressure issues (fairly low probability) or something is blocked - most likely the rocker shaft itself.  The other possibility is that the little screw that lives in the top of the rearmost rocker post has escaped and allowed the rocker shaft to turn slightly so the oil feed hole no longer lines up.

If you are getting oil at the back but not the front, then the candidates are partially blocked rocker shaft or really worn rocker shaft allowing all the oil to escape at the first few rockers.

You need to investigate the real cause first before sticking an external feed on - these engines were designed to run without them and mostly do without issues.  If you must put one on then you really need to restrict it (0.8 - 1.0mm orifice max) otherwise you will certainly find you burn alot more oil.

Cheers

Nick

Take off the rocker cover and remove the rocker shaft.......... lift it off.

Look at the rear most position where the rocker pedistal would sit and you will see a little hole........ this is the feed hope for the rocker shaft.

Crank the engine and check to see if you get oil here.................

If you do, then check that the oil feed in the pedistal is not blocked, and that the rocker shaft is in the right way round!!!!!!

ooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Just a thought.

Has the screw fallen out of the rocker shaft????............ sometimes does.

Take off the rocker cover and at the back of the engine, ontop of the shaft there should be a large phillips head screw...........

If its not there and just a hole, then the oil will come up the pedistal and out of the hole rather than pressurising the shaft!!!

My bet is this..............!

Thank you guys

I knew i had come to the right place.

I shall investigate as soon as im able but that will probably be at least the weekend, then i will report back.

As Mr Chatterton said i shall look for the oil hope.  ;)
Thats if there is any for me.

Des.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all
Sorry its been a while but decorating etc got in the way so the triumph had to wait.

Screw was in place on rocker shaft and all looked good when i took it out with a constant flow of oil.
Took the rocker shaft off cleaned it up as much as possible blew it through a number of times until all holes were clear, it seemed to be the last few holes that needed attention.
Put it back together this morning with a new gasket and took it to the local classics meet where classic car weekly were doing a feature, all is good cars running beautifully again with no squeal. Happy days. :)

Many many thanks.

Des.

Archived