josh18

Hey, I am sick of fixing one oil leak from my PI, only to have another one start. I have put a nice crank case breather on it, which has done a lot of good to reduce internal pressure, but it just weeps out everywhere. I am thinking of trying one of those stop leak additives that swell up all the seals and gaskets in an effort to stop all the leaks. Has anyone had any success with this sort of thing, and am I risking things like clogging up oil galleries etc with it. Also, if I put it in my OD gear box is it going to clog that up? I will fix all the leaks properly one day, but for now I just need it to stop wrecking my shed floor!
Cheers
Josh

Are you sure it's not worn bores causing excessive crankcase pressure.

PI's are notorious for having this problem, often caused by bore wash from an over rich fuel mix.

It's a downward spiral, worn bore, less depression on idle, more fuel on idle from MU, more bore wear, repeat ad infinitum

Keep at it, but worth doing a compression test.

Yep, my bores are worn I think. I checked the compression a while back and it is low, and the outlet on the crank case breather tank I made is like a little smoke stack! Rings and hone are definitely on the to do but I would have thought the crank case breather would relive the pressure enough. I have an extra breather from the blanking plate for the mechanical fuel pump.

Hey Colin, I just read your blog, thanks for that! I love forums, you can learn so much and you are never alone! My compressions were very similar to how you described yours when I measured them a while ago, and probably worse now, though it doesn't seem to burn any oil. I guess the compression rings can be stuffed while the oil ones not. Did you do a compression check since the new rings?
Cheers
Josh