The Right Type of Oil

Fish

Hi All

Can anyone recomend the right tpye of oil I should be using in my Stag. It has a 3 litre Triumph engine and is currently running Castrol RS 10W40 but this feels a bit too thin. Would I be better off with a 15W40, a 20W40 or something else and is there a particular brand that would be best suited please?

All the best.

Andy  ??)

If you're going to buy Halfords Classic 20/50 in the posh metal container and why not, there's nothing wrong with it, then consider buying Comma 20/50 in the cheap plastic bottle at up to half the price.  It's the same stuff!

347 wrote:
Millers Classic 20w50. Anything too thin will p1ss itself out of all the wrong places. Halfords classic 20/50 is OK too, and Duckhams still produce a 20/50 so far as I know. 8) Our Stag gets fed with Millers 20/50 and seems to thrive on it. I tend to use Millers in our other machines too.

Rob

How much are you paying for the Millers Classic Sport??

I'm struggling to get it at an acceptable price.

Cheers

Colin

Personally I use Valvoline Turbo V - 15W40.  The stuff is usually on special at my local automotive supplier.
It is a 100% dino oil.  My employer puts a semi synthetic oil in his Stag but Iam unsure of the make and viscosity value.
Last I heard is it is better to use 100% dino oil in the TV8.

Julian

thescrapman wrote:

Rob

How much are you paying for the Millers Classic Sport??

I'm struggling to get it at an acceptable price.

Cheers

Colin

Colin - ashamed to say I don't know  :B- my local motor factors bloke stocks it and I recall comparing his price with that of EJ Wards and that it was about the same. I had so many problems with a previous Stag that I simply decided that the present one should have decent stuff to work with: cheaper in the long run and all that! 8)

stag_ste wrote:
GT6 John,

Where did you get you avatar from?  I use that exact one on another car forum, but with Wibble written down the side....

Google!  It's great.  I just did an image search using the word 'wibble' and found exactly what I wanted! ;D

347 wrote:
Millers Classic 20w50. Anything too thin will p1ss itself out of all the wrong places. Halfords classic 20/50 is OK too, and Duckhams still produce a 20/50 so far as I know. 8)

I use Duckhams Q 20-50 in the spitfire ( plenty of it as the engines a bit worn now :( luckly my daughter works for a motor factor:- staff discount makes it quite cheap ;D)
When i first started useing Duckhams 30years ago it was Green, now its the normal colour ??) Wonder why the change and when it happend ????

stag_ste wrote:
This is getting confusing, I keep seeing 'my' avatar and thinking they are my posts..... lol

Sorry!  I thought I was being all original, too!  I was watching Black Adder for the umpteenth time, and the idea for the avatar came from that.  Someone else was bound to have had the same idea, it was inevitable!

I change mine every few months anyway.  Once I find something else I like it'll change!  

'Til then, wibble! ;D

Archived