qunvat

I think what it consists of is even more important than its rating, but obviously you want 20/50. It might be synthetic, I can't remember the details, people will know.
I got some Halfords classic car oil 20/50 in mine that wasn't overly expensive, some of it is

Think of oil like baking.  You need certain ingredients to make a given recipe, and anyone following that recipe will end up with, hopefully, the same.  In practice there are of course numerous variables, including the quality of the raw materials used, the amount in which they are used, and how they are mixed together.  As a consequence you end up with different products, some of which will be very good, and others not so.

There is also a question of balance.  When making an oil many features have to be considered, including wear protection, anti-corrosion, anti-foam, filterability, etc.  Getting good performance in all areas is essential for a good oil but compromises are often made.  Getting good performance in one area usually involves a compromise elsewhere. (This is why you should not normally use additives in an oil).

To answer the question then, as has previously been said, you get what you pay for.  If it costs a fiver then that's the value of the ingredients and expertise in making it.  Do you want to put that in your pride and joy?

I am all for saving a few pennies here and there but I do not understand the logic of putting in inferior oil in a car that you want to take care of. I suppose there is an argument for using cheap oil and changing it often but sub-£5 oil for 5l seems to be too cheap to be any good as others have said. I have used Millers, Halfords classic, Duckhams, and am about to see what Mobil 1 is like. You can't really tell what is going on with different oils and general wear on the engine but I wouldn't risk anything too cheap as the results could be rather expensive........

The cheap stuff is reclaimed oil - spot the black flecks where some of the old sludge hasn't been removed by the centrifuge process.
It's fine for an oil burner on it's last legs, but don't put it in anything you care about. Buy a reasonable quality oil (around £10/gallon) and change it regularly,
Cheers,
Bill.

I think the stuff I got is 15-50 (I am not exactly sure I'd have to confirm but it isn't the 0-40). I got a 4.5l tub for the change and a 1l tub for top-up. I think I was feeling rather flush at the time!! Oil consumtion doesn't seem particularly high (top up every few weeks with a smidge) so I decided to give it a go. I have my MOT next Friday and will do a routine service including oil and filter change then.

Neil

Bet many buy cheap bacon and eggs from a supermarket without reading the spec,
if the asda oil has the right specification creditation then it should meet those requirments, if the label is a bit lacking in comitment then you get what you pays for ,, then there is the duty of the car  its seasonal mileage, driven like you stole it or  just potter around never beyond 200rpm  its all relevant in the decision
similar prices in wilkinson( even have GL4 80/90) and tesco   anyone what to conjour up a spread sheet of the specs,,,   Peter

Archived