Smiths oil/water dial

Timbers

Hi,

I just bought a second hand smiths dual oil pressure and water temp dial off ebay. The water temp is mechanical so I need to screw the brass temp lobe thing into the engine. It may seem like an obvious question but do I screw it in where the electrically temp is located, just below the thermostat housing?? Or somewhere else?

Hi

If I am not wrong you must have a small adapter from a MG B or else it will leak. This is if you put it were the electrical one is fitted today, the reason is the 'neck' on you  capillary tube needs somethins to seal at.
I advice you to replace the electrical one.

Chris

Yes, you must have a little brass adaptor (at least on my GT6).  

As Tim Bancroft said, you must be vry careful on the GT6 as the hose above it is very close to the capillary tube.  I found it neccessary to remove the hose, install the bulb & adapter, then very carefully slightly bend downwards the line at the bulb while praying for nothing to break in order to have clearance for the hose.

Thanks chaps,

thats all very helpful. I pick up the adapter from Holden and it should be good to go.

However, thanks to Rotoflex I'm now petrified of bending the copper wire too much  :'(

I dont suppose you have a picture so I can see how far it can be safely bent? No worries if not.

Good point from Charlie.

I have had capillary type gauges fitted to my GT6 for about 8 years now, the capillary breaks every so often therefore needing a new gauge-a real pain. But a price I am prepared to pay for the accuracy of a mechanical gauge.

I would run a Triumph without a mechanical temp gauge.

Hi

Sorry to go a bit offtopic but could be usefull to original poster if he breaks his temp sender...

Have you never tried to repair it? The temp sender is filled with ether so it should be possible to refill it and solder it back again?

I will try to win a bid of a dual gauge at ebay and if  I can find a cheap one with bad temp sender I will buy it and try.

/Chris

Hi guys,

I tested the temp sender in boiling water first and its fine, but good point to make.

Timbancroft, are the mechanical units that much more accurate than the electrical ones then?

Monday would be fine for a picture. I'm waiting on the the brass adapter, so cant fit it anyway.

Thanks again :)

Archived