Do I need to add/change oil?

Brendan The Spit

So I'm getting ready for The Big Drive and am thinking about oil.

The dipstick shows about halfway between max and min.

I had the car serviced a year ago (when I bought it) and haven't added or changed the oil since.

What do you reckon? Should I:
a) Top it up?
b) Replace it all?
c) If a) or b), what sort should I use? I've searched other forums and it seems Castrol 20/50 is popular.

Ta
Brendan

No brainer if it's been a year. As Herald948 suggests - New oil & filter. Straightforward job.
I usually use Comma Classic 20W/50 and change it every 2000 miles but I've just 'invested' £30 in a can of Valvoline VR1 20W/50 as it's supposed to stay in better shape when the engine's hot. Reports on here and other forums are very positive. I'm going to use it as soon as my engine's run in and anticipate being able to do a few more miles between changes, perhaps 3000. Not that there's anything wrong with Castrol, although it seems a bit pricey for a conventional oil (perhaps?).
Rich  ;)

Hmmm, I've heard the phrase 'straightforward job' quite a lot recently...!

This is a bit of a bummer. I was hoping to be able to just jump in and go (on Wednesday) up to Cheshire, then back down through Wales. I only really just thought about checking this, and I'm working tomorrow.

So, am I scuppered, or do you think I'd be able to do it if I promise to be good and sort this out when I get back?

What's the viscosity of the oil like? If it's in good nick then just top it up and change it when you get back?
The other option is to top up with an oil additive like STP or Wynns which are designed to revitalise the oil. I don't know whether they do 'exactly' what they say on the tin but a fiver on a bottle of STP might be a good compromise?
Enjoy your trip anyway Brendan. It's sounds like fun.
Rich  ;)

to be fair mate for the time it takes to do an oil and filter change you might as well do it now. Up on ramps, sump plug out, whilst it's draining pop the new filter on (light smear of oil on the new seal) leave it half hour to drain, drop it off the ramps and re-fill. I did my last one on my dinner hour in the car park at work.

Just top the oil up and not worry about it, The general thing is change oil every year/3000 miles but not the end of the world if you don`t,
Its the same as plugs will last a lot longer than when most people change them

cheers andy

willows40 reply is just what I was after! Talk about policy-based evidence...

I don't have ramps, I've never done this before, I found a video on YouTube that scared the willies out of me - because I'm timid and easily scared like a tiny white rabbit - so I'm tempted just to top the bugger up and hope for the best.

And yes, I'm hoping it will be fun! Venerable aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary, he's *really* into cars (always has 2.5 bikes of varying vintage in his garage, plus his kit-built Bugatti) so I wanted to show him the Spit. Then it's back through Wales via Knighton, my favourite bit of Offa's Dyke walking country.

I'll let you know how I get on...

Cheers
Brendan

Brendan, you say you had it serviced a year ago, did they change the oil and filter then or just add oil. Was this done by someone you can trust.
If your happy to use it and the oil looks and feels ok, then carry on.

When you get back, pop up to my house and i will help you to change the oil, i'm going away next week for 2 weeks but pm me after that and i will help you if you like. :)
John

Wow you haven't had to add oil in a year?! My Spit would have overheated and melted by now  ;D I have to top up oil every 3-4 months. I'd just top it up and try a complete change when you next get a chance.

why no just take it to a garage, local friendly one, no a main agent,  with your own oil and get it done there, !!!  Prob only charge you a fiver, and they will take your old oil, and Burn it thru winter,
well thats what me Marra does,

say own oil, cos you can bet your last £, they wont keep 20 50.
and if nothing else, then change the filter,
Fill the filter up before you put it on, saves a bit of wear to the engine.

856 wrote:
Wow you haven't had to add oil in a year?! My Spit would have overheated and melted by now  ;D I have to top up oil every 3-4 months. I'd just top it up and try a complete change when you next get a chance.

*Bursts into tears* I have to top up ever 10 - 25 miles  >:( :'(

Oil and filter change isn't difficult; I knew practically nowt about these cars when I got one; first thing sixteen year old Aaron did was a service.

Last week seventeen year old Aaron did the same thing :P

Aaron there is something wrong if your having to top up so often.

Brendan, oil change is nothing to worry about it is really easy to do and you dont even need ramps.

Needed items:
Paper towls
New oil
New oil filter
Spanner (forget size)
Boil or other suitable container

Warm the engine a little to enable the oil to flow easier (not to hot just warm).
Remove engine oil filler cap from the rocker cover
Get a bowl to catch the old oil and lay down on the passenger side (uk) front wheel and you will see the sump bolt, undo this and place the bolt in safe place.
Let the oil drain for 5/10 minutes then remove the oil filter (have paper towls handy), again this is on the passenger side just below the dizzy and you should be able to remove it by hand.
Allow oil to drain till it no longer drips from the bottom hole where bolt was removed earlier.
REPLACE the bolt in the sump
Fit new oil filter (smear some new oil around the threads and rubber seal and fit nice and tight by hand only, do not over do it
Add new oil
Refit the oil filler cap

Tell him how much oil he'll need so he'll have enough on hand.

Brendan, change your oil!  It's easy!  And the best thing for your car.
Just remember the checklist when it's done:
Be sure the sump plug is back in
Be sure the oil filter is in & tightened correctly
Be sure you DID put oil in it, & that the level is correct on the stick.

Aaron, do you have an idea where the oil is going?

2875 wrote:

And yes, I'm hoping it will be fun! Venerable aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary, he's *really* into cars (always has 2.5 bikes of varying vintage in his garage, plus his kit-built Bugatti) so I wanted to show him the Spit. Then it's back through Wales via Knighton, my favourite bit of Offa's Dyke walking country.

I'll let you know how I get on...

Cheers
Brendan

Brendan

Your solution is in your own very words.  If you show up a tad late your uncle will be bored with the party.  All you have to do is casually mention that you didn't get a chance to learn how to change the oil because you were in a hurry to visit him.  Also say you were late because you were worried about the lack of an oil change so you drove slow.  In no time he'll be changed in to his car clothes and will be out teaching you how to do it.

And for some of the blokes on here who regale the missus with tales of why they were late getting home, I am sure that they could cook you up an even better story.

Good luck with the run and am sure that the oil will be the least of your problems.  I don't subscribe to the theory of changing the oil every year regardless of milage and have yet to have an engine failure in over 30 years of driving.

jb

Ah, I love the suggestions of talking to my uncle about it! The thought had crossed my mind too! Thing is he's north of 80 now so I don't think he'll be up to lying prone under the car but we can certainly have a good bonding session over it.

And I simply don't have time to replace the oil. I'm working a full shift today (I'm a self-employed copywriter so I tend to have to do LOADS of work before I allow myself to go on holiday) and I'm off at first light tomorrow, so fiddling around with oil and filters is just not going to happen. I'm still looking for a place I can get Castol 20/50 from - I've heard nasty stories about the synthetic stuff and I want the right thing.

Thanks for all the help though - really appreciate it. This is A Good Forum.

Cheers
Brendan

3472 wrote:

I know :P
rotoflex wrote:
Aaron, do you have an idea where the oil is going?

Yep; it's burning it all! Just spent this morning picking up a replacement second hand engine :)

3472 wrote:

Brendan, oil change is nothing to worry about it is really easy to do and you dont even need ramps.

Needed items:
Paper towls
New oil
New oil filter
Spanner (forget size)
Boil or other suitable container

Warm the engine a little to enable the oil to flow easier (not to hot just warm).
Remove engine oil filler cap from the rocker cover
Get a bowl to catch the old oil and lay down on the passenger side (uk) front wheel and you will see the sump bolt, undo this and place the bolt in safe place.
Let the oil drain for 5/10 minutes then remove the oil filter (have paper towls handy), again this is on the passenger side just below the dizzy and you should be able to remove it by hand.
Allow oil to drain till it no longer drips from the bottom hole where bolt was removed earlier.
REPLACE the bolt in the sump
Fit new oil filter (smear some new oil around the threads and rubber seal and fit nice and tight by hand only, do not over do it
Add new oil
Refit the oil filler cap

i would add a step in hear before removing the sump plug, give the oil filter a wee twist to make sure it will budge. sometimes they can be quite a nuisance to remove and its always nice to know it will come off before your drain the oil.

cant remember if the spit has a copper washer between the plug and the sump ?

a hole year with out needing to top up is quite a achievment for the car.

when in kwikfit i noticed that if ytour cars low on oil, they will top it up absolutly free, even asked and they confirmed it, free oil. no twenty/ fifty though. surprise surprise other wise i would of been there once a week  ;D

Archived