GT6 MK3 pinion oil seal

Kev W

Kev,
They usually are difficult to remove. If you must resort to a chisel be especially careful not to damage the seating in the housing.
                                                                                   Best of luck,
                                                                                   Paul

Cheers Paul, I'm looking at getting another gear puller, the one I have took the flange off nice and easy but the arms are too big to get between the seal and output shaft, I need a cheap and spindly one! How can a seal that leaks like a sieve be stuck so tight?! Look at the weather and she's up on stands in the garage!

I use a hame med thing called a  Owkerooter, it works v v well indeed.
basicly an large olde screwdriver, bent over ont end, and it lips under seal, and with shaft on a bit of wood,or similar for leverage near the edge,  then just Owk it oot with yer Owkerooter, simples. ;)

M

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Grease-Rubber-Seal-Gasket-O-Ring-Puller-Remover-/290395805394?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item439cf056d2

that sort of thing works well. Yes, can be done with improvised tools etc, but the pullers are inexpensive and really do work. I have a draper version, think I got it locally many years ago.

cliftyhanger wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Grease-Rubber-Seal-Gasket-O-Ring-Puller-Remover-/290395805394?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item439cf056d2

that sort of thing works well. Yes, can be done with improvised tools etc, but the pullers are inexpensive and really do work. I have a draper version, think I got it locally many years ago.

Quoting this for good measure. I went years just using any old thing I could bend and shove in behind the seal, but these proper tools are far stronger and far superior.

I knew you boys would come through for me! Puller bought from machine mart, seal out new one in and I'm back on the road and the garage floor is drip free! I think there is too much slop in the take up between the propshaft moving and the wheel turning,  about half to an inch of play when turned.  Ah well, when it breaks I'll treat myself to a Papworth.  :)

Thanks again!