I have a small but constant oil leak which I'm pretty sure is coming from between the head & block at the back left corner. I initially thought it was either from the oil filler cap and/or rocker cover gasket, but am now happy they are oil tight, so head gasket seems the only possible source. This was on a rebuilt engine, the head came off again and now back on the leak is still there, both times have used Payen head gaskets. Head had a light skim before it went back on and the block appeared flat.

Any ideas?

Yes, they do this sometimes and on the 6 cyl engines as well. I usually put a smear of blue Hylomar around the oilway hole on both sides of the gasket.  Don't overdo it - you don't want it squeezing into the oilway and blocking it!

Might be worth putting a straight edge across the block also though I'd be surprised if there was a problem there.

Nick

I had quite a substantial leak on my 13/60 in the area that you describe so when I re fitted the head after having it converted to Unleaded I put a smear of Wellseal on both sides of the Gasket at that point and it seems to have done the trick. :)