Oil cooler pictures

Davemate

Can I play Devil's Advocate and ask why you need one?
I had one on my GT6 - because "the experts" said I needed one - eight years later I took it off and sold it on eBay as unnecessary luggage. I now wouldn't fit one to any of my cars unless I was considering rallying.

go to technical and look at the "hot/cold oil " thread
it may be overkill and the new millers oil may cure the problem
but as i now have it i want to fit it just as a backup and quite a few people seem to think its a good idea to have one on a 1500

490 wrote:

I had one on my GT6 - because "the experts" said I needed one - eight years later I took it off and sold it on eBay as unnecessary luggage.

Standard tune GT6, probably doesn't need one.

1500 Spitfire engine, needs all the help it can get as does a tuned GT6 engine or a 2.5 in a Spitfire/GT6.

490 wrote:
Can I play Devil's Advocate and ask why you need one?
I had one on my GT6 - because "the experts" said I needed one - eight years later I took it off and sold it on eBay as unnecessary luggage. I now wouldn't fit one to any of my cars unless I was considering rallying.

When my poor little (1500) toledo gets a good run the oil pressure on a good crank and fresh bearings dropped to 25psi at (very) high rpm. Once the engine cooled back to 60psi.
I will update the figures once I have connected the cooler up and given the car another fine thrashing, but they re required on the 1500 when driven hard. And yes, it does rallies too. And other stuff, as well as being a daily hack (when it doesn't need the cooler)

What is obvious is that your right foot needs to put on weight  :P

I do feel a bit of a plum asking this

Will an oil cooler which is fitted with a sandwich plate that has a stat built in self drain when the engine is turned off if the rad is mounted higher than the filter or sump ?

If a remote stat is fitted I surpose it will drain up to the stat but as the stat would be shut the oil would remain in the stat to rad section.
A sandwich plate that has a built in stat seems to have open holes that feed/return to the filter.
Filters self drain so therefore would it drain the rest of the system.
If they do self drain how would the oil get back in as the stat would be closed and the extra oil would stay in the sump until the stat opens

Sometimes I have too much time on my hands to think things over !

the separate stats won't make any difference, it seems to be just one of the 4 ports is blocked when cold, so oil could still drain back.
I am thinking about this, as my newly fitted oil cooler is higher than the take-off plate. Maybe I should't worry too much, oil ligt goes out very fast still, even after a few days.

Clive
if all the oil draineds back to the sump it will give a high reading on the dip stick when checking from cold.
Would the oil light go out if the cooler system was empty as the preasure switch is before the cooling curcit if that is the case with the sump over filled you might get crank splash,plus when the stat opens  you will get a big air bubble circulating and would give you a second or two of no oil preasure.
If the stat/or sanwhich plate always let's a little by even when the stat is shut then it would self drain but it would also self refil so if you start the engine and run it for a few minutes all should be ok -then dip the oil level

Sometimes I do think too much !

Dave, a 13 row oil cooler what we fit has a capacity of 0.5lt , i dont know what the oil flow from the pump is at cranking speed but the restricted cold oil past the stat for the cooler will take some time to fill i assume.
Its a good valid question mate if your cooler is higher than the stat (think)

I just spoke to a chap at merlin whilst ordering a new sealing o ring.
He said they should be mounted below the take off point as nothing can flow up hill,as when the stat is closed its not an air tight seal so the oil will self level over time.
He then said you do see them mounted above though !

Archived