Oil + Water = Sludge

helicopterdcr

so she should be :P
But back to the car. It may well be condensation causing it, especially if it has not done any long runs recently. Or a blocked breather.
I would take the rocker cover off, clean it and check the breathers are clear. Then take it for a nice long run, will get any moisture out the oil. Or give it an oil change (use cheapo 20/50 oil, dont bother with filter. If all ok then drain and refill/new filter with quality oil)
Of course the HG may be suspect, but compression testing may not show the problem. Does the temp go excessively high very quickly, or any other symptoms?

Check the radiator to see if there's any oil in the water and check the dipstick to see if there are any water droplets in the oil (check when the engine is cold). If either of these prove positive then it's the head gasket. You won't always get these symptoms at they tend only to materalise with a badly leaking gasket. Another symptom can be poor cold starting with the engine only starting on two or three cyinders before finally bursting in to life on all four, presumably because the moisture is impacting combustion. If the leak is really bad you might have trouble even turning the engine over as you'll be compressing water - which can lead to all sorts of serious problems so don't try to ignore it. Finally, is there any steam or water coming out the exhaust pipe?

Blimey. Thanks chaps - I was about to book the car in for a HG change, but won't do that now! There's no oil on the dipstick and none in the radiator as far as I can see, so I'll go with the condensation. The car only does short journeys on a daily basis - perhaps 10 miles (through the worst of muddy lanes dammit - and Mrs H doesn't really think about avoiding large, muddy puddles, even if she can). I'll monitor it over the next few days and give it a good thrash - at 90 mph (the speedo still isn't sorted). If there's still some slime about, I'll go for the oil change and breather check. Thanks again. Dave

Hair cream attatched to the extremeities was common in the 70s ans 80s its just water vapour condensing on cold zones of the engine and emulsyfing with the oil
much more appaent on short run useage, there were trials with dual skin rocker covers, lagging, and a small baffle attached to the front on the rocker cover to deflect fan cooling the tinwork, all these worked but never went into any manufacturers production,  a cast cover will improve it as it holds the heat  but some cheap felt lagging works well just looks cack.   Peter

Roger  you mean at work you have time to squander on club message boards
I'm lucky now i've retired there isnt time to go to work  Happy new year
see you at the Hitchin meet 28th Jan  ( better get back to the post subject )
and if anyone tries the lagging or baffle It would be interesting to read the results
its not daft it will work
Peter

Archived