Carbs and clutch...

willcolumbine

I'm on the home stretch recomissioning my car but I've come upon a few annoying problems that I'm having difficulty nailing down!

Firstly my carbs are really starting to hack me off because the float chambers keep leaking from the overflow! I've got a repro fuel pump, malapassi regulator, 2 filters between the tank and the carbs and ball type valves in the carbs. No matter how the regulator is adjusted fuel still pours from the overflow holes on the chambers. Anyone got any ideas?

Secondly, my clutch system seems to be loosing fluid and is always spongey. I've got a new master cylinder, hose and the slave cylinder has less than 4000 miles on it. Theres no sign of a leak anywhere obvious but when I took the slave off for inspection there were rub marks all over the cylinder wall. Is that normal? It bleeds alright but as soon as I use it a few times (and have replaced the interior) is goes spongey again. Any suggestions?

Cheers guys!

one of the most common problems nowadays is fuel spilling out of the carbs because the needle valves don't shut off properly. changed mine about four times  using different types of new ones. in the end i used a pair of old ones from a couple of mini carbs and problem solved. is this anothe example of us being sold poor quality new parts i wonder?

Sounds like you have the grose valves? Never tried them, but have heard many stories similar to yours, and fitting std needle valves cures it. Makes you wonder why they bother selling the "new" type!
Clutch, bleed nipple above the pipe I hope. Sounds like some air getting in. But where?? May be a case of changing cylinders again. Have you kept the originals? are they servicable with hone with fine wet+dry and a reseal? may be worth a try.

Clive

Archived