One Carb Is Rich

AndreGT6

Still battling my carbs.

The rear back is stupid rich, while the front is almost perfect.

I'm going to start bending the crap out of the float.
I had match the set to be level in the jet, but clearly the rear carb is just sucking back the fuel and fouling the plugs.

Plan B is to just buy a whole new setup.

1, where does someone find new SU carbs
2, or do I consider other options?

Thanks.

A.

I wouldn't have thought you'd need to go to the extent of getting new carbs, but ...

1. Andy Turner carbs in the UK is good - he will advise on what suits your 'ingredients'.
Or Burlen own the Skinners Union name (so named because of all the knuckles skinned whilst working on them? :-) ) and you can get all the parts through them

Both have websites.

During an exercise to determine why the jets on my old Mini were at different heights, I found that the float height is not that critical.  What I did find was that one of the (fixed) needles had been scraping up and down on the side of the jet resulting in significant wear - hence why the jet had to be higher up to get the mixture right at tickover.  Got replacement bits from Burlen down the road.

But that brings me on to the question about spring loaded needles.  Don't they wear out as they are designed to scrape up and down?  If so, how long do they last?

New jets on both and I did swap the needles for the fun of it.

Same results.

I'm still thinking the float is not closing 100%

Also, I can not get the back carb to lean out at idle. Full tight on the bolt and it still wont lean out.
Front carb will.

A.

Andre

Consider Joe Curto in Long Island NY, he is an SU guru, www.joecurtoinc.com, he claims to have NLA parts for any SU and also makes his own to a very high standard. His prices are pretty reasonable too, i had a complete re-build on a set of CD150's for $400US which i thought was a bargain.

i know, i think it used to be just www.joecurto.com, now it's www.joecurtoinc.com, not too sure why he has changed it all around.

He did get a little pissy with me when i pressed him to get my carbs completed a few months aso and i will admist he left 1 gasket out, other than that he did a great job.

Fuel pressure check for a carburetted car is a cheap old-fashioned type vacuum/fuel pressure gauge, which should be tried before a fuel pressure regulator.

The old electric SU fuel pump should be OK, since most applications had it fueling SU carbs.  

I will hold on to the cool Triumph mechanical pump with the genius priming lever as long as possible:  back in the day when these cars were much more common on the road, half my nice-guy work was crawling under some MG that had stopped by the side of the road to bang on the fuel pump so it would go again.

Archived