needs choke on 150 cd

john136070

Hello
I need a bit of information re 150cd carb.
I fitted new seals then centralised the jet, the piston goes up and down as it should the adjustment on the jet is 3 turns back from the top. The engine starts and runs but only with full to half choke anything less and it stops. Any ideas?
Thanks
John

when u say top John is that the top of the jet flush with the bottom of the orifice? Then try winding the jet down more as it sounds like youve still got it too weak.  
The three turns is just a guide to start with and lowering another 3 turns wouldnt be unusual.....  

You could also remove the airfilter box and with the engine running look to check that the piston is rising and falling freely when reving. If not maybe you have a a split in the rubber diaphragm which would also give a very weak mixture....

Lowering the jet solved the problem. Another fault has now shown up in that I can't get the tick over slow enough,it is about 1000rpm and I will look at the butterfly valve to check for wear or that is shutting properly unless you can point me into another direction. The piston moves as it should and the diaphragm is okay.
I didn't have the engine running when I bought it as a restoration project so the slow running could have been a problem before it was left for years.

Thanks
John

yes if the choke lifting bar that sits under the piston is going back to the flat position and the piston is free the problem must be with the butterfly operation. Stick with it - this is the fun with resto projects! You just keep knocking down problems one after the other till youve either got a fantastic car or run out money and/or patience (woot)

Actually it might not be a butterfly problem. If the carb needed richening up a fair bit to make it run, and now it's idling rather fast even with the adjuster screwed all the way out, that combination could be indicative of an air leak into the manifold. Check by spraying WD40 around all the gaskets and see if there's any effect - if there is then you've found the leak.