Slightly weird clutch behaviour

Nilfisken

Hi,
have not driven the car much since replacing the whole clutch hydraulics (rebuilt master, replaced pipes and put in a brand new slave) but it has an issue that appears a bit weird to me. After bleeding the clutch it performed great so I put all the interior back in and then the car was not used for a few days. Upon driving it after the clutch work (twice so far) it has showed a somewhat odd behaviour.

When starting after a long standstill the clutch works well but the 'bite-point' is almost at the floor. After a few miles of driving it ends up biting somewhere in the middle of the pedal travel. If I then park the car for a few hours and take it for another run the clutch is fine, seems like it needs to stay put for quite some time to get back into the low bit-point. Any ideas what might be causing this. There appear to be no fluid losses and the pedal don't feel spongy. I will have a serious look into the whole gearbox/clutch unit this winter so no plans to rip the whole thing out but cant really understand this recent behaviour. If it was just air in the line I guess the bit poiunt would go back to the low point fairly quickly when not being used for an hour or so?

Cheers

Probably the piston in the master cylinder is not returning to its resting point, so the slave cylinder is not getting a full charge of fluid.
Make sure you have a return spring on the pedal assembly then push the pedal to the floor and let it fly back.
Repeat this a few times and if it is a sticky piston the bite point should come back up.  If not you will need to look elsewhere.

8)

HI,
that sounds like a possible explanations. My return spring is not the most snappy one (actually have a spare already but never replaced it due to lack of daylight while sorting out the clutch) and that would explain why a bit of exercise can make the master cylinder work better after while. Today I took the car out after only one night of standstill and it actually worked perfect from start so maybe the cylinder is getting used to it's new seals? Anyway, new spring is moved up on the to-do-list.

Thanks!

Unfortunately never replaced the internal spring as it seemed very fresh and snappy. The clutch master appeared to have been replaced fairly recently, it was much better shape than the brake master and the outside appearance hinted at fewer years on the bulkhead =)

Archived