My compression test values :o(

mazfg

Just done a dry and wet compression test on my 1600 engine. Due to the old blue smoke problem and hoping it was just valves...as this was going to be my simple winter project...

Cylinders 1-6

DRY: 155, 160, 140, 165, 165, 170

WET: 170, 185, 170, 175, 195, 215

Hoping to at least get some motoring out of it this summer, drives ok....maybe lacking in power...

Have no engine hoists and generally this may be beyond me. Wondered best course of action, as in, where can I get a recon engine and get it fitted, I'm in Oxford, or what would anyone recommend? Thought possibly about getting another engine and reconning it myself at my leisure and get a garage to fit, hoping current one will last a few years at least....

Thanks in advance  :)

Just curious...how were the tests done? Engine thoroughly warmed up? plugs out? throttle held wide open while each cylinder was tested? On the dry test, #3 seems a bit low, but still not horribly out of range. Meanwhile, I'm not sure the "wet" numbers mean all that much. Also, under what conditions does the "old blue smoke problem" appear?

Done with engine cold, all plugs out and throttle open.

Well, ive been tinkering with setting the mixture and whilst idling, eveytime I give it some throttle, a lot of blue smoke comes out the back. Also, when pulling  away after sitting at lights a bit comes out, but not as much as when I have it idling during mixture setup....
Does it most when hot, thinking its the valve guides and valves

Maybe I'll just go for the valve guide/ head recon first and see how that pans out.

Mazfg, what is the actual oil consumption?  Fill it to full, drive it for 500 miles and measure what you're putting in.  As Andy Mace says, they're not horribly out of range.  If the oil consumption is not out of the manufacturers figures, I'd leave all well alone.

M.

3398 wrote:
Done with engine cold, all plugs out and throttle open.
My understanding is that such a test is best done on a warm (not cold) engine.

3398 wrote:
Maybe I'll just go for the valve guide/ head recon first and see how that pans out.
That makes sense, especially since it's likely to be done in a complete engine overhaul, anyway! From what you describe, I'd suspect the valves/guides do need attention.

As already advised, these things die slow and will soldier on indefinitely if the oil is kept topped up and not thrashed too mercilessly.  No major hurry unless the bottom end is rattling.

I've been moaning about mine for years as it likes a drop of oil and is starting to breath heavy.  It was due to be changed out about 2 years ago but I've been very slack, so it's done another 10 Countries and seems to use less oil since then oddly enough.  Since I've had the PI I've been forced to appreciate that the Vitesse engine is actually relatively fit!

Nick

Ahh, many thanks guys.....that's re-assuring news. I think I'm striving for perfection..... The car starts fine, runs well, idles ok...with the odd blip here and there, but I suspect that's a worn valve/ seat. I shall enjoy the summer. Not taken it on any major drives as yet, apart from a pleasant country road jaunt a month ago....did about 80 miles. Hoping to drive from Oxford to St. Albans at the weekend, on the M40 and M25...hoping it holds up to a cruising 60 MPH and about 60 miles

Just put in 1/2 litre of oil and noted mileage, will keep this monitored.

You could just fit seals to the inlet valves so you can use the car till it is convenient to do the overhaul work.  Should stop the smoke problem.

Seals not standard but there have been posts on best type and how to do it and you don't have to remove the head. (rope trick safer than using compressed air, less likely to drop a valve)

Archived