RBRR return route through Cornwall and Devon Sunday 3rd Oct

Just joined Club Triumph and checking out the great information. I was  hoping to find out the route/ check points for the cars travelling from lands end through Cornwall and Devon Sunday morning.    I will be on holiday in Saltash and would love to see cars on the road or at a check point.   How can i find out the route please?

I am visiting here from America, where i have  TR250 and belong to Indiana Triumph cars. 

Hop this helps. 

Danny

RBRR: The Route

The event has 3 stages, these being London to John O’Groats, John O’Groats to Lands End and Lands End to London. The start is at 18.00 and heads north on the A1 up to the first stop at a location near to Doncaster. Its then onto the next stop on the border at Carter Bar and into the Scottish Borders. We visit a location in the vicinity of Edinburgh 3.00am on Saturday morning. By now the initial euphoria felt by the crews at the start will have worn off and weariness will start to creep up, but still the mileage must be done. Now we drive along the A9 and A99 viewing the sun rising (it will wake you up) over the North Sea to John O’Groats for a well earned breakfast and a wash and brush up at this very Northern tip of the UK mainland.

Now come possibly the best driving roads of the event as crews cross the top of Scotland via Thurso, and then down to Altnaharra, this is a marvellous single track road that offers challenges to the drivers and fantastic stunning views. The next stop is near Inverness, by now it will be early afternoon on the Saturday. From there the route skirts Loch Ness, crosses Telford’s Caledonian Canal and heads onto Fort William. The next part is a visual highlight as crews pass through the inspiring mountain ranges of Glen Coe. The roads from Inverness are wide fast ‘A’ roads that really offer crews the chance to stretch their cars, in fact it could be said that these roads have been designed for use by Triumph motor cars. Next up is a stop in the vicinity of Stirling, many cars are quickly fettled as the second half of the event starts, cars needing oil top ups and the like. It is weird to think that crews have to get to Lands End for breakfast and onto Knebworth for the finish in 24 hours time, in fact, some crews look totally alarmed by this realisation!

The crews now drive back through the fading light into England taking the A74(M), A6 and the M6 as they head to the border, the next stop is at Tebay for a stop at the best motorway service area in the UK. A bit more motorway action is suffered as we head to Oswestry through the England/Welsh border  for some single carriageway fun! Another great nights driving is now enjoyed right in the middle of Wales. It is bound to be raining, but by now crews will feel at one with their car and be able to exploit the roads that are set out before them. The next stop is just west of Monmouth before we head down to Chepstow passing Tintern Abbey and then onto the old Severn Bridge, this always looks more imposing than the newer one downstream. Then it is onto the M5 and off to the West Country, to end up at Lands End for a rejuvenating breakfast. The Sunday morning can be very fatiguing and it can be a struggle to get to Land’s End, the A30 section through Bodmin Moor being particularly tiring.

The third part, possibly the easiest and definitely the busiest section starts after a superb breakfast at Lands End as one watches the Atlantic beat England’s coastal point. Nice roads are enjoyed as crews set off to Bude for a stop at the town's Museum (and maybe more tea..its a tea run!) and then onto the final stretch of the event, competing with Sunday afternoon traffic. Then we head to Knebworth for the finish, through Wiltshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire. At Knebworth, there is a chance to purchase some food and maybe have a drink before heading off home following the weekend’s gruelling motoring. There is also the chance for crews to book into the local Novotel Hotel to enable a good rest to be enjoyed before heading home on Monday morning.

35 minutes ago, NickTR250 said:

Great over view, thanks Danny.   Do you know the specific roads used as they travel Bude to Exeter and the expected time slot ?

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the road book for this year, and I never kept the road books from when I did the run. You could go to the main stops, which are Lands End, Bude Museum, or Badgers Holt. If you check these out you could roughly work out the route. 

These places are excellent places to check the cars out as the crews spend more time at. 

Danny

Hey @Saltddirk good point about being a member and access. I think the route hasn't been published because of some issues in the past on night sections, with locals etc. 

I've saved the list of Control Stops page from the mag, and just sent it to @NickTR250 as a private message. Hopefully the Postcodes in that list will help locate some good places to see the Teams.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone, and yes Ben the PDF came through perfectly.   I presume that the times in red on the stops are the departure time..    if i read it correctly they leave Bude museum at about 11-45 and it will take them 45 mins to get to Badgers holt.... so they should start arriving at about 12-30 and then they start leaving Badgers holt at 13.17  ping me if i am reading this wrong !

Planning to get to Badgers holt to see the cars as they stop over for a brief period

Thanks to everyone again for getting the info to me.  It never ceases to amaze me the kindness and generosity of fellow Triumph enthusiasts around the world.

2 hours ago, NickTR250 said:

Planning to get to Badgers holt to see the cars as they stop over for a brief period

The list you have should show the open times for the checkpoint (ie. earliest the crews can check in.) Notionally they have a close time too, but often they remain open at "Marshall's discretion" for stragglers. 

Badgers Holt is a great place to see the run if you can get there. I'd aim to be there 45 minutes before the checkpoint open time.

• Like 1

I shall be at Badgers Holt (Dartmeet) soon after 12pm tomorrow putting the banner up. Either a grey Vitesse or Damson GT6, haven’t decided yet. Cars can’t move on before 13.17. Usually takes a good couple of hours for them all to go through.

After that they head for the A38 at Ashburton south.

Nick

• Like 1