1500 Clutch to 1300 flywheel won't go!

John Bonnett

I would like to fit my GT6 three rail box to my 1300 engine. I have a bellhousing that will do but the 1500 clutch cover won't fit the dowels and mounting holes in the flywheel. The splines on the gearbox fit the clutch plate.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Thank you

John

I would use the lighter 1300 flywheel, and get it drilled for a gt6 clutch. I think the 1300 flywheel is flat whereas the 1500 isn't.

On another point, how have you sorted the bell housing? I am intrigued as I thought most conversions used a special input shaft. Or in my friends case cut and welded a spit input shaft onto the cut gt6 shaft (before anybody comments it was done extremely well, got runout to 2 thou and the box has covered in excess of 80k without issue)

cliftyhanger wrote:
I would use the lighter 1300 flywheel, and get it drilled for a gt6 clutch. I think the 1300 flywheel is flat whereas the 1500 isn't.

On another point, how have you sorted the bell housing? I am intrigued as I thought most conversions used a special input shaft. Or in my friends case cut and welded a spit input shaft onto the cut gt6 shaft (before anybody comments it was done extremely well, got runout to 2 thou and the box has covered in excess of 80k without issue)

The flywheel isn't quite flat clive, there's a bit of a step. I have no idea of the origins of the bell housing It came from Mike Papworth who fitted it to the gearbox when he had it for repair. A couple of pics attached.

Thank you for your suggestion.
John

Why do you say it is a GT6 gearbox John?  That would normally have a much larger and longer input shaft, which would result in your bell housing failing to mate with the engine back plate by a good inch when fitted with a 4 cyl bellhousing?  It would also definitely not fit a 1500 clutch plate.

If it is a fine spline input shaft then it may be that the gearbox has Spit 1500 internals (or the close-ratio GT6 gears with modified input shaft).  You can use a later Dolomite 1300 clutch with that which will bolt straight up to your flywheel.  Alternatively, if your 1300 is the later large-crank 1300 you could get a 1500 Spitfire flywheel and that will bolt straight onto the engine.

The bellhousing is an early Herald one - which is nice.  The far more common cast-iron ones are flippin' heavy!

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
Why do you say it is a GT6 gearbox John?  That would normally have a much larger and longer input shaft, which would result in your bell housing failing to mate with the engine back plate by a good inch when fitted with a 4 cyl bellhousing?  It would also definitely not fit a 1500 clutch plate.

If it is a fine spline input shaft then it may be that the gearbox has Spit 1500 internals (or the close-ratio GT6 gears with modified input shaft).  You can use a later Dolomite 1300 clutch with that which will bolt straight up to your flywheel.  Alternatively, if your 1300 is the later large-crank 1300 you could get a 1500 Spitfire flywheel and that will bolt straight onto the engine.

The bellhousing is an early Herald one - which is nice.  The far more common cast-iron ones are flippin' heavy!

Nick

Nick thank you for your reply. I know nothing about Triumph engines so any help I am given is very much appreciated. Mike Papworth built the close ratio (GT6) box for me with the correct first motion shaft to suit the four cylinder engine. As far as I know, I have a 1500 Dolomite clutch not a 1300 one. So If I get one for a 1300 Dolomite we should be okay?

thank you once again.

John

Toledo is coarse spline, so a dolly 1300 is in order.
Ebay is your friend!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Dolomite-Toledo-1300-new-Borg-and-Beck-clutch-plate-HB1661-/161323825741?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item258fa63a4d
(as long as it is th eplate pictured, 21 splines not the 10 of a toledo etc)

Re reading this has me worried :-/

Is the  1500 clutch "almost" right? If so the 1300 clutch will not fit that flywheel either.
However, if that is the case, what clutch is meant to be used?
However, if it looks like a smaller clutch is required, then the dolly 1300 plate/cover would be the answer.

Incidentally, the 1500 clutch used cap head bolts (from the factory) which may be another clue. I really cannot remember is that was done to get clearance.

If you are unsure I can pop to my lockup and take a pic or two of flywheels with measurements.

cliftyhanger wrote:
Re reading this has me worried :-/

Is the  1500 clutch "almost" right? If so the 1300 clutch will not fit that flywheel either.
However, if that is the case, what clutch is meant to be used?
However, if it looks like a smaller clutch is required, then the dolly 1300 plate/cover would be the answer.

Incidentally, the 1500 clutch used cap head bolts (from the factory) which may be another clue. I really cannot remember is that was done to get clearance.

If you are unsure I can pop to my lockup and take a pic or two of flywheels with measurements.

What a minefield Clive. Right, I've got a plan which I would like to run by you. I need to get the engine and box together as soon as I can, with a clutch if possible, for the dummy build. I have got the single rail box and the clutch which goes with the engine  so that gets it all together. I also have propshafts to suit both combinations of single rail/overdrive and three rail/overdrive. My plan is to use a 1500 Spit engine on the finished car so will the new clutch fit that? If so we're home and dry.

Thanks Clive

ohn

Yep, sounds like a good plan. But the old single rail box should use the same clutch plate as the new gearbox? Are the shafts the same diameter? This is important. And does the 1500 clutch plate also fit on the gearbox?
I assume your new clutch is a 7 1/4" one, and the original is a 6 1/2" ?? Probably!

You are right, too many variables here, but getting the dummy setup will keep you moving. But you obviously want to get a clutch that will work with the box and whatever flywheel you end up using.

I'd advise against the smaller clutch on a bigger engine. I've run my original 13/60 gearbox on a small crank 1300 (13/60), a large crank 1300 (mk4 Spit.) and a 1500 (Dolomite) engine. I don't think the small clutch is up to the job of the higher torque. It'll work, but it won't last all that long. That being said, I think my mk1 2000 has a small clutch as well? I'm just reporting on my findings but possibly keep in mind they've never been driven sedately?

I always used the same (original) 13/60 flywheel. To fit the large crank engines I drilled out the holes. When I put the small crank engine back in I used collars on the bolts to reduce the size. All pretty simple and yes, I did have a habit of having to swap engines about a lot.

cliftyhanger wrote:
Yep, sounds like a good plan. But the old single rail box should use the same clutch plate as the new gearbox? Are the shafts the same diameter? This is important. And does the 1500 clutch plate also fit on the gearbox?
I assume your new clutch is a 7 1/4" one, and the original is a 6 1/2" ?? Probably!

You are right, too many variables here, but getting the dummy setup will keep you moving. But you obviously want to get a clutch that will work with the box and whatever flywheel you end up using.

Right on all counts Clive and yes the plate from the 1500 Dolomite clutch fits the splines on the three rail box.

I have now fitted the old clutch and the single rail box and ready to drop it into the chassis. Some good progress today.

Ferny, good point. Thank you.

John