Davemate

The clutch on the wife's 1200 (64 convertable) has its biting point right at the top and the pedal is very stiff compared to mine (1500 + box)
When I refurbed the clutch slave cylinder it was the type with the groove all the way around it,does this mean I have the earler clutch and is the pedal harder to operate on these
Can I just fit the newer clutch and the corasponding slave cylinder when it does give up the ghost,which it must do soon as the pedal is right up the top !
Before I got the car it sat in a barn for 20years ,could the clutch just be knackerd

I was at my local garage the other day, getting my 1200 convertible MOT'd..(failed - the little minx, unbeknown to me, had blown her nearside front indicator bulb..could have sworn it was working right up until then....but she definitely has a sense of humour!!....& the horn...which I did know about...!!!)..
..Where was I?...Oh, yes...I remarked she needed both new clutch cylinders...(The retired owner was trying to get her into gear to negotiate the pit & 'rollers' & she did'nt want any of it...One man car, she is!!!) he said that you should 'bleed' or work the slave cylinder BEFORE it is fitted..(or something like that - not being technically minded, it did'nt really sink in!!!)
If you think it is worth investigating I can clarify details???
Geoff.    

Dave, def the early slave cylinder, and I "think" it will be the early clutch. You will need the flywheel off a later car as well as the complete clutch and I think the clutch release bearing arm is different too. None of those parts should be difficult. Downside is I weighed a few flywheels (amongst other stuff) in a little while ago. But others are bound to have them lurking.

Geoff. the only thing I can think of is he suggests you put the slave cylinder vertical (or maybe 45degrees or something) to get the air up to the bleed nipple. But I don't think it is an issue, as long as the bleed nipple is on the top.

Nope, not certain! but my memory is a bit hazy at times. Its those teenagers that have done that.

***EDIT***
I win! well according to my trusty Kipping catalogue anyway.
States it needs the flywheel, clutch kit, release arm and slave from a diaphragm clutched car. and watch for crank bolt hole sizes..... (I think that applies to dolly 1300, not sure about late MK IV spits though)

As i said the pedal is quite a bit stiffer than the pedal in mine.The pedal is firm all the way down to the floor and the biting point is at the upper most half inch.
Both slave and master cylinder have had new seal kits fitted if the pedal is no lighter in the "modern" clutch i'll replace like for like, so i guess its box out --new clutch in --box in
or can anyone sugest anything

FWIW I always thought that the earlier clutch, if anything, felt lighter that the later one.  My car built with the earlier clutch, now sports the later type.  To convert, the car needs the later flywheel to match, and the correct slave cylinder and release carrier to suit the later release bearing.  I converted purely as the old coil spring clutches are becoming difficult to source.  As many readers know, I am a stickler for originality too! ;) ;)

Mark

always worth alook at the pedal pivot, if seized you dont always allow the Mcyl to recuperate

when a disc wears thinner the pedal  load goes up and  the clamp load goes down , hence a heavier pedal  effort followed by clutch slip  ,fitting a new disc of the correct thickness will correct this.

coil covers take a thicker disc linning than diaphragms   you must never inter mix them , plays havoc with the clamp and pedal loads

Peter

Archived