Tweety clutch bearing

Steve P

My Vitesse clutch bearing has started an annoying tweeting noise which i`m thinking means its drier than Ghandi`s flip flop,the clutch works fine its just the noise gets on your wick.Anyone think i could spray grease it through the lever hole or do i have to take the box out?

Its a new clutch but i cant remember if i replaced the bearing as it was standing for 20 years,i`m still driving it but i dont want it to disintigrate.
Cheers
Steve

unless the bearing stuffed this normally is due to the diaphragm fingers skidding on the surface of the bearing which being new has some preload, if just touching the pedal stops it  bingo, it will wear in fairly quickly,,  or fit a light pull on spring to  the wd lever keep the beggar in contact  peter

Had exactly the same problem on my Vitesse years ago.  I put up with it.  Once the car had eaten its gearbox (again) I took it out and discovered in the process that the release bearing (which had been on my hit list for some time) was apparently very healthy.  I changed it anyway along with the rest of the gearbox and happily the noise went away.  I have no real idea why though......  This later gearbox did have a tendancy to spread oil aroung the bell housing which may have helped keep things quiet, but was not so good for the friction surfaces.  This finally annoyed me enough to stick a Toyota gearbox in it - which still leaks, but less so.  I suppose this is progress.

I think Pete is right about the noise being caused by the bearing skidding on the diaphragm fingers.  However I'm not sure whether the design intention was for it to move completely out of contact or to remain in firm enough contact to prevent skidding  If you think it is the latter then a light spring should do very well.  If the release bearing then dies this may suggest this was not the design intention, but hey, it had to come apart anyway!

Nick

Edit: It is when they start screeching under load that you really need to do something about it.

sorry  Roger  abbrieviated   WD = withdrawl lever,,  ( clutch withdrawl arm or whatever )
Im sure it wil soon quieten down give it some more use, having said that  Ive just converted my 1600 coil clutch to a new canley diaphragm unit and the SKF  bearing on the 2nd hand  sleeve seemed much better than the one in the kit  and no tweets,

Mine goes away with a slight touch on the pedal too so i`ll leave it,i`ll be doing 180 odd miles tomorrow so it`ll get a good run out.
Its probably coming out over the winter anyway when the 2.6 and saloon o/d box goes in.
By the way Roger i have a new tank feed pipe in mine,my moneys on driveshaft u/j`s.
Cheers
Steve

lets go back to a adjustable push rod when you had to set in some small free play..
if you just pull the arm back a bit does it stop ? cos you either need a gap or be in light contact ,,, some slaves had a spring inside to do just that,, keep a tiny load on the bearing,,peter

roger.england wrote:
By the way, I've now done about 600 miles with tweetie pie and no sign of it stopping.

Roger,

Mine did it for years (10,000 plus miles) and only stopped because I changed the 'box/bearing as I said above.  I think you'll have to take action to get rid of it....

Nick

Archived