The green Dolly

Clive

A year ago (time flies) I bought a dolly 1850 that came up for sale. It had belonged to a nice old chap, who had passed away, but he had owned the car for about 20 years. 100K on teh clock, a few little (so I thought) crusty bits, and it had no fuel pump as teh old one was apparently faulty, new one in a box, plus a brand new battery. Not to mention a NOS stanpart herald rear overrider, a TDC sill, and a variety of other spares.

Car was collected, got it home and had a look at teh fuel pump. New one was incorrect, so pinched a known good one off my Toledo (TR7 engine) and fitted it. N joy, but a bit of prodding reavealed the fi=el hose to teh pump was cracked. New bit of hose, and the car fired up easily, even on 2 year old fuel. Ran sweet as anything. 

Paper work showed the overdrive box was a recon just 500 miles earlier, and stacks of bills from garages over the years. Some were noy very honest, a few new repair sections were nothing more than filler, but charged for proper replacement. Ouch. More later.

IMG-20210219-WA0011.jpeg

IMG-20210219-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20210219-WA0002.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

All the BEST people have an 1850! Me? Biased? Not at all!

😉

Nice colour, not as good as Honeysuckle though. 

It won't stay 1850 forever, I have a sprint engine to build! But that is for next year.

Colour is Brooklands. I prefer the earlier, darker green, but too much grief to change. The old boy has used many cans if aerosol for where he scratched the car on hedges etc, so it needs a good going over with G3 to see what it really is like. Except the top of the ns rear wing already has primer showing, probably thin paint over an old repair. Done by the guys who charged for wheel arch replacement, but did it with filler.

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Done by the guys who charged for wheel arch replacement, but did it with filler.

I think my Spitfire was restored that way in the 1990s. Shocking to find that sort of con being pulled on people. I expect to get an extra 10mph out of the Spitfire by adding lightness when I do the bodywork and rid it of (major) filler.

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

Found any Castrol GTX can yet??

Nope. Did find a bit of old sodium chlorate weedkiller, been banned for years but I will put it to use.

It also came with a NOS 1850 block (linered) which has been rehomed. And a rear outer wheelarch, but I still can't work out which side.

A stack of used pistons, some other old bits and bobs. Plus a few old batteries, which got weighed in before christmas at my annual scrappie run (pays for my Christmas shopping!)

33 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Clive,

Got to say, the thought of a Dolomite 1850 with overdrive is quite appealing. Can't wait to see your progression with the car.

Will it be as good as Sam's example though?

Did a load of filler work yesterday, amazing the number of shallow dents were found, plus the repair sections needed blending.

Good as Sams? I would not wish to compare, mine will be typically a "Clive" car. MGF seats, not too much regard for originality, and the paint finish will be variable as I am only painting the bits that really need it, at least initially. Later it will get a full paint job as I expect colour match will be an issue. It has been totally resprayed once, some areas twice, plus the last owners "touchups" with Rover brookland green, which is pretty close to the Triumph version, but noticable.

I have a sprint engine to build, been bored, got new pistons, a good head sourced and built up, choice of 3 good crankshafts, and then that will be mated to the sprint box and axle currently in teh Toledo. But that is all in the future, others stuff is ahead in the queue...