More clutch weirdness

Van

I have now got a replacement clutch for my 1850-gearboxed GT6 after the diaphragm spring broke. A few years ago I bought a clutch that wouldn't release, so after these problems I'm a bit wary about clutches.
Tried my preferred suppliers last week but they all seemed to be shut, so I reluctantly got one on eBay off a guy who sells quite a lot of stuff.

Before bidding I asked him what make it was. He told me it was QH, but the clutch that arrived was "Automotive wholesale components" or AWC and within 24 hours of the auction ending he has listed a QH clutch. I have not heard of AWC!

The width of the friction material is 1 3/8" whereas my previous clutch was 1 1/4" - same OD, different ID. Metal surface on cover plate is wider to match. Looking at photos of 1850/GT6/Vit clutches on eBay there does seem to be a bit of a variety in friction material width. The extra bit of surface it will use on the flywheel looks OK so shouldn't be a problem there, although be interested in any comments.

Metal surface on cover plate is also ground with very shallow grooves in it, not quite concentric but spiralling out slightly. Not seen this before?

I'd really like to get this in this weekend and hoping it will be OK, but a bit nervous due to the anomalies and previous bad experience. Would appreciate any comments on the things I have found.
Cheers
Van

'Automotive Wholesale Components'? Are you sure it wasnt made by the ACME corporation?

I don't think I could come up with a name that implies 'cheap inferior tat' if i tried. No idea whether its actually any good, but damn, what a naff name for a company.

junkuser wrote:
Wasn't it QH plates that Bill Davies mentioned as having shudder problems?

Going back to the mid-1990s that was the case, I've no recent experience to evaluate their current products. Let's just say that I'm wary of old stock QH clutches.

Cheers,
Bill.

Not really a good example but I have a QH friction plate (intended for something Toyota) paired with a Borg & Beck pressure plate in my Vitesse.  After about 15k miles, admittedly quite a few of those being hard miles, the judder is becoming pretty irritating.  Doesn't appear to be oil related either.

"Automotive wholesale components" does sound a bit doubtful although the larger friction area is a good sign.  Wouldn't necessarily consider QH to be a top brand either though.  Bought a brand new LUK clutch kit for the PI from my local motor factor for the princely sum of £54 recently - seems to work OK so I'm calling it a bargain for now!

Nick

Archived