123 Ignition for a GT6 III what settings and cap?

BrendanD

Hi,
I've just got a Lucas 25D6- based 123-tune conversion for my GT6

A simple question and a harder one.

1. What cap would be required? Caps seem to be sold by model so this is confusing.....

2. Has anyone set up a Mk3 GT6 with the 123 Tune and what advance curve settings did you use?
Alternatively, what are the stock advance curve settings for a late 73 Uk spec Mk3?

Its my Christmas task!
Many thanks!
Brendan

Is this the fully mappable version?

If so, there was a recent thread on this for another 6 pot Triumph.  Also, maps used on Megajolt and Megasquirt systems will have some relevance.

My starting point was to plot the mechanical and vacuum advance from the standard distributor.  If the engine is standard them this will likely turn out to be pretty much spot on for full throttle line (the Triumph engineers did know what they were doing) but you'll be able to improve on the part throttle settings.

Nick

MK3 to Engine no KE10000
Distr. Delco Remy D200 795 3681

centrifugal adv.
rpm- deg (both crank)
400- 0
1600- 7-11
2400-14-18
3200-16-21
4400-20-24 max

Vacuum adv.
InHg-deg (crank)
2-0°
4-0°-4°
8-6°-10°
13-14°-18°
20-14°-18°

from engine no KE10001 on
distr. Delco Remy D204 799 2127

centrifugal adv
rpm-deg (both crank)
800-0
1200-0.8-4.8
2000-12-16
3000-14-18
4000-16-20
5000-18-22
5600-22

vacuum adv
inHg-deg (crank)
3-0°
5-1°-5°
7-7°-11°
8-10°-14°
20-14°

Cheers,
Harry

piman wrote:
Hello Nick,

I know I've asked before but don't remember a sensible answer, how do you map it to mimic the vacuum advance timing, without other sensor inputs?

Alec

You do have another sensor input - a vacuum sensor, which is used measure engine load and thus give the "third dimension" to the ignition map.

One point about this, which is hopefully covered in the 123Tune manual, is that this does need to be a true manifold vacuum reading for best results and this may not be what you get from the original vac-advance connection, which are sometimes taken from within the arc of the throttle butterfly.

Not sure about MJL, but on the more advanced versions of Megasquirt you can also use coolant temperature and inlet air temperature to tweak timing settings (eg I have slightly retarded ignition when inlet air temperatures are high to reduce pinking) but this isn't really necessary - just allows you to push a bit closer to the edge for ideal conditions without running into problems when conditions are much worse.

Cheers

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
Not sure about MJL, but on the more advanced versions of Megasquirt you can also use coolant temperature and inlet air temperature to tweak timing settings (eg I have slightly retarded ignition when inlet air temperatures are high to reduce pinking) but this isn't really necessary - just allows you to push a bit closer to the edge for ideal conditions without running into problems when conditions are much worse.

You can only have one extra input on Megajolt (so you'd have to choose between coolant temp or inlet temp advance/retard), and loooads of extra inputs on the latest Megasquirt (probably more than you'd ever use even if you were preparing the engine in a lab).