Chassis Number GT6 MK3

GT6 RUBY

Hello hoping someone can assist

Ruby my 1973 GT6 Mk3 now resides in France with me on French plates. She has just had her first CT (French MOT) required every five years on classics registered here. Glad to say passed with flying colours save for there not being a chassis number to be found. I know they were prone to fall off being spot welded to the outrigger. Is there anyway of finding the original number? I know its a long shot but would be fitting rather than fabricating something just for the sake of ticking another french box 😉

Thank in advance if you can help

Thirsty Steve

IMG_20211005_145339_2.jpg

Do they really need the chassis number OR the VIN?
The VIN is known as Commission Number (Comm No) in Triumphs of a certain age and would be on the ID plate I think rivitted to the side panel visible when the bonnet is raised.
Something like this:
Triumph Spitfire 1.1 60hp -64 - PS Auction - We value the future - Largest  in net auctions
The smaller ID plate below is the body number and then there may or may not be a separate chassis number tag. Apart from heritage info and manufacturing the numbers on the body+chassis are pretty much irrelevant from the point of view of IDing the vehicles. (But try persuading some bureaucrats of that!) 
There seems to be a general confusion amongst the paperwork people because of the different terms. Comm No. should be considered the vehicle identity. 

• Like 1

From my experience of chassis numbers on Triumphs my first Herald 12/50 (1963 reg) purchased in 1974 had a plate with a number stamped on it welded to the chassis above the cross member running across the car UNDER the sump, so not visible!

All later TSSC type cars I have owned, mainly Heralds don't or didn't have that plate on the chassis. So, in theory, just tell them the plate is on the chassis beneath the sump.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses and yes they do need to see a chassis number as well as the VIN which is quoted on the carte gris (French vehicle registration document) this is the French we are talking about. 

I believe the Spitfire MKIV/1500 and GT6 MK3 chassis all had an prefixed FC ******** chassis number spot welded to the out rigger. I wish but there is no way the French would accept its under the sump. Bottom line is id like to find the correct number but as I say I may have to be creative Thanks for anymore thoughts

Thirsty Steve

• 4 months later...

If I'm not too late to help, you should be able to get a Heritage Certificate from the British Motor Museum https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates to confirm the car's numbers. The terms commission number, chassis number & VIN are almost interchangeable. On Triumphs the phrasing tends to be commission number until the very last cars which used the new-fangled long VIN numbers. 

You can then get a reproduction commission plate from one of the Triumph suppliers and get that stamped up by an engineering workshop - or get a set of stamps yourself. I attach an image of an original plate from  a GT6 Mk3 and would suggest that this may be the design you would want, but ideally you might be able to ask the question on here once you know the commission number of your car - it may be the one on the carte gris if that fits within the GT6 range - to check it is the correct plate for the age of your car.

To be clear and above board we own Classic Reproductions (classicrepro.co.uk) and sell various plates etc but you will find that Rimmers and many other Triumph suppliers can also provide these plates. 

http://triumphspitfire.com/History.html this is one site that gives an overview of the range of commission numbers used on various cars. 

I hope this is of some help.

Guy

CP504 plate.jpg

The VIN number is also stamped in the right hand rain channels on Spitfires.  Mine was built in 1980 and it is still visible - may be in the same place on a GT 6.   I know you are looking for the chassis number but if present it would be another indicator of authenticity.  

Quite often though they are overpainted or rusted out and replaced.

Chassis/body numbers were used for internal audit on the assembly line.    No record was kept after the car left the line, so none exists now.    It was usually a five(six?) Digit number followed by the two letters of the current Commission No. (KE, KF (us) KG (Sweden)

If you can't find one as Kevin suggests, make one up following the above and make a plate to pop rivet on.  No one wil be able to prove you wrong!

John

Edited by JohnD