Alternator pulley and fan removal

rolallan

Evening all.  Today I received my lovely shiny new recon alternator, but without fan and pulley.  Not a problem, thinks I, that'll be a five minute job, no worries.  It's not a five minute job.  So, an hour later, after I sat In the garage having a bit of a cry I thought I'd ask the experts.

How the blazes do you get the nut off without the fan spinning.  That thing is locked solid.  I tried shoving a heavy duty screwdriver through the fan blades, but the fan started bending so i stopped that.  I tried clamping it in a vice.  I tried hitting it.  I nearly tried by kicking the car but thought better of it as I couldn't see how that would help and it's not really the car's fault.

What am I missing.  Please tell me it's something obvious cos I'm flummoxed.

Oh, it's a Lucas A115/45 and Google tells me to use impact wrenches or air tools, neither of which I possess and I still can't see why it won't just spin around.

Cheers.

An impact driver will do it, but only in very short burst as the armature is relatively light and will soon spin.

I used to overhaul alternators and just put a ring spanner on the nut and struck handle with a hammer as close as possible to the ring, in the "undo" direction.  Can take several attempts.
Holding the fan with the non-hammer hand with one finger on the exposed side of the nut will prevent the spanner exploring the room.

This "shocking" technique is handy with any stubborn nuts.

Thanks for the idea.  I'll have another crack at it tonight, otherwise i'll have to resort to replacing the pulley and fan as I'm off to Wales for  along weekend in a week and I really had hoped this five minute job was the last preparation work I would need to do.

Cheers.

Even those battery operated wheel nut removers would work, (The motor spins up and suddenly engages the 1/2" drive) It's the jolt that loosens the nut, but I would still recommend an air powered wrench - and think of all the other lovely accessories you can use when you've got a compressor.... Don't do what I did last time I removed the pulley. I prised out the woodruff key and it pinged across the garage and hid for over an hour!

I may take the cowards way out and pop down to a local garage and see if they can whizz it off for me.  Every time I try fear something may break.  That something might be me.

I'd love a compressor but simply don't have the space, at this time.  One day perhaps.

3546 wrote:
I may take the cowards way out and pop down to a local garage and see if they can whizz it off for me.  Every time I try fear something may break.  That something might be me.

I'd love a compressor but simply don't have the space, at this time.  One day perhaps.

Well I did suggest..... Take 'em a Watney's Party Seven..........

M.