Updating Electrics in a Herald 13/60

Alan Armstrong

The big difference between Herald(Vitesse/GT6) wiring and moderns is the use of multiway connectors.    As you will have found, your Herald has "Lucar" bullets where ever a connector is needed, and spades where the long plugs into a component.

You have to read the colour coding on the wire and consult the wiring diagram each time you reconnect.    Moderns will have a short loom and a multiway on every component.   Reconnecting is easy and straightforward as the multiway wil only connect in one position.  No need to check colour codes or consult the diagram!

Multiways available in any size from 1-way to 8-way or more, from suppliers such as Vehicle Wiring Products https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/

John

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Appliance amperage in triumph herald 1200 

Does anyone know the amperage of each appliance in a 1961 triumph herald, I'm trying to install a fuse box instead of the control box which was initially in the car when it was rolled out obviously this is unsafe, I additionally would like to add a radio system so I would like to replace it so it is overall safer but don't know what fuses I should use for each appliance.

H,

dipped and main beams are 5A each. You want at least 25A (constant) to cover flash when dipped and main may both be on, all bit only for a short time. 

Heater motor allow 15A, Horn 25, wiper 15. 

But to put it in context, spitfires use 4x35A blow fuses (17A continious)

In my spitfire, I used 15A fuses for just about everything, but had dipped and main beam fused seperately. So in part it depends how you split the circuits up. And most short circuits are catastrophic, so will be very high current.