Triumph Herald Dynamo/Altenator

Jack Hartshorn

Evening everyone, my mechanic has said he tested my alternator and the readings are not how they should be and after last nights meet at coningsby I’ve got to run my herald and the battery is flat, if anyone has a spare dynamiter/dynamo (I’ve never converted it to an alternator so I think it will by a dynamator or dynamo) I would be happy buy one, if anyone has a spare. Thank you!

Edit: I have swapped the voltage control box took the car out for a drive got home and it was dead as soon as I turned it off although the red ignition light no longer comes on if I stall, I have bought a new dynamo and will update again once it is fitted. Thank you to everyone for their help 🙂

Edited by Jack Hartshorn

Hello Jack, May be an idea to put on a photo of what is fitted to your car so members can be sure what charging system is on your Herald. It will either be a dynamo or alternator, a dynamator is an alternator which is designed to look like a dynamo for originality purposes.  Hope this helps

good luck 

9 minutes ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Hello Jack, May be an idea to put on a photo of what is fitted to your car so members can be sure what charging system is on your Herald. It will either be a dynamo or alternator, a dynamator is an alternator which is designed to look like a dynamo for originality purposes.  Hope this helps

good luck 

Thank you Wendy I’ll update the post tomorrow and I’ll put a photo on as well

38 minutes ago, Jack Hartshorn said:

I think it is an alternator in a dynamo casing so it looks like a dynamo, so I think I will just buy a new alternator, would you know the best place to get one? Here are the pictures

959327A1-F131-4B47-919A-918E2AD725B5.jpeg

D814F085-43CD-46DD-913E-CC4DE447FEF0.jpeg

Has it got a seperate control box (on the bulkhead)?

Why do you think it is a dyna thingy and not a normal dynamo?

2 minutes ago, Clive said:

I was told by another club member that they thought it was a dynamator, as for the separate control box I’ll have a look when I get home I don’t think it has one if it doesn’t would that mean it’s a dynamo?

18 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Usually something like this:

DYNAMO VOLTAGE REGULATOR CONTROL BOX 12V 22A NCB100 3H1835 RTC434 AS LUCAS RB106

Not sure of the ones specific to the Herald.

I've got an untested Herald dynamo in the garage, free if you want it.

I will see if it is a dynamo first if j can find a control box on it then if that would be okay could I have it I can put postage or collect if you are in lincolnshire

19 minutes ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Hello Jack,  the control box is on the side of the battery  and is a black plastic box about 4” x  6” with wires coming off it I’ve put a picture of Mabel’s on this post but it’s not very clear it’s the black box with the chrome clip on it 

F9E96C93-B177-4A23-B916-0262FED8376C.jpeg

Oh yes I see it I’ll have a look under the bonnet when I get home and see if there’s one there

• Like 1

Your dyno whatever looks brand new, if it is an alternator didn't the previous owner of your car get a guarantee that they can let you have?

If you want to go down the true alternator route I got a brand new one about 18 months ago for my Dolomite, same fittings as the Herald, for about £50. I think it's a 17ACR but could be 18ACR.

I got it from CJF Rotating auto electricals, the reference number is A00100

I think they could be down your way.

23 minutes ago, standardthread said:

Your dyno whatever looks brand new, if it is an alternator didn't the previous owner of your car get a guarantee that they can let you have?

If you want to go down the true alternator route I got a brand new one about 18 months ago for my Dolomite, same fittings as the Herald, for about £50. I think it's a 17ACR but could be 18ACR.

I’m not sure if it’s new but the previous owner doesn’t really speak to me I asked him for the origional air filter to the cat he said he’d get it for me and he’s never contacted me back after that so I don’t think he’d give me the warranty but I will probably buy a new one either way if it’s an alternator, I’ll have to see which one it is I’ll keep them in mind though, thank you!

28 minutes ago, Wendy Dawes said:

If it does have a wired up control box then you have a dynamo - the wires will be incorporated into the main wiring loom on the car and go through the bulkhead behind it through a big donut shaped grommet 

I’ll have a look when I get home I’ll let you know as I’m on my way home now

1 hour ago, standardthread said:

1 hour ago, Wendy Dawes said:

If it does have a wired up control box then you have a dynamo - the wires will be incorporated into the main wiring loom on the car and go through the bulkhead behind it through a big donut shaped grommet 

2 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Usually something like this:

DYNAMO VOLTAGE REGULATOR CONTROL BOX 12V 22A NCB100 3H1835 RTC434 AS LUCAS RB106

Not sure of the ones specific to the Herald.

I've got an untested Herald dynamo in the garage, free if you want it.

5 hours ago, RobPearce said:

If it's a dynamo then it will have a separate control box. If it's a "dynamator" then the control box may still be there but not connected.

5 hours ago, Clive said:

I’ve checked on my car I think it is a dynamo as I think I have found the control box next to the battery 

3015E2EB-9EEF-4E6D-A1BF-E329116BBBC3.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, standardthread said:

If you want to go down the true alternator route I got a brand new one about 18 months ago for my Dolomite, same fittings as the Herald

Not the same fittings. The alternator bracket is the same on all SC engines so equipped but it's NOT the same as the dynamo bracket fitted to all Heralds. Also the adjuster arm is different between dynamo and alternator fitment. So a Dolomite alternator drops in but only by also swapping the fittings.

2 hours ago, RobPearce said:

Not the same fittings. The alternator bracket is the same on all SC engines so equipped but it's NOT the same as the dynamo bracket fitted to all Heralds. Also the adjuster arm is different between dynamo and alternator fitment. So a Dolomite alternator drops in but only by also swapping the fittings.

Over the years I've never had a problem, all the 'spares' I've had until I got my first Dolomite 4 years ago have all been Herald or Spitfire based, non of the cars the spares came from had alternators. I fitted one to my first 12/50 in 1975 without any issues (it was an off-side version loaned by a friend who then gave me a N/S version, had I realised I could have just reversed the alternator front plate), it went straight on the car. My current 13/60 estate, again, alternator, a straight change over from dynamo.

I know there are different adjustment brackets in terms of length, AND, different pulley diameters on alternators, both got around with different length fan belts.

2 hours ago, Clive said:

The issue could be the dynamo OR the control box. Possibly both....

The dynamo does indeed look recent, I wonder if the issue has been the control box all along. But without proper testing it is difficult to know. 

My mechanic tested the dynamo and he said he wasn’t getting the proper ampage through so it could be the control box or dynamo im not too sure